Thursday, July 18, 2019

Thursday Art Date: Yellow and Orange


Hello Friends! :)

Welcome to Thursday's Art Date! Our theme today is Yellow and Orange. I usually love those colours in clothing, but I think Bugs Bunny's golfing attire is a bit on the eccentric side! (And I don't think Daffy appreciates being his caddy!)


I had some fun with my oil pastels too, dreaming of my home in the woods on a hot summer evening! :) Our weather is really hot and humid and the skies are a beautiful mix of yellows and oranges in the evening, it's such a beautiful area - if only we could thin out the population a little! The condos in the village center are starting to go up - oh gosh we can't get out of here soon enough!!! Next spring!! :)


Watercolour Pumpkins and Gourds. Even though I adore the summertime, autumn is on my mind these days too! :)


It's been a big week! The squirrels are on their fourth day living outside - still in the cage though. Alex set it up on crates and put a tarp over the cage to keep them from getting wet if it rains. We still bring them food and water a few times a day and they are within sight from all of our windows.


We had an audience as we took the squirrels outside!


We check on the squirrels many times throughout the day, though Alex stayed outside with them the first day when it was really muggy and I think his mosquito bite count was over 25. The dogs love to watch them, but we make them all sit and be quiet so as not to scare them too much! The triplets have to get used to other animals around, and it's not such a bad thing for them to be nervous seeing the dogs, it'll keep them safe when they're living in the woods.


They were very nervous at first, sticking together in the little cubby hole where they sleep. But eventually they ventured out and started to check out the scenery.


This is their current diet. Nuts, sunflower seeds, sweet potatoes, apple peels and I saved all of the strawberry tops from when I made the jam. I keep them in the freezer and they just love them! We also give them a steady supply of pine cones, branches and pine needles which they really love to munch on!

Next Monday we'll cut a little hole in the back of the cage so they can come and go as they please. Wish them luck! :)


Here is a little video of Spunky finishing off a pine cone.


And this is Algie chirping. Squirrels chirp as a warning of danger, that a predator is nearby. Algie started to chirp when we took the cage out before we let the dogs out - poor little thing was scared in her new environment. Fingers crossed that they are able to adjust and do well when we let them loose!


In my last blog post, I mentioned the cheeses I made last weekend. For anyone interested, I finally got the blog post up on Rainy Day Cheese Making for this Cheddar Recipe!! :) It's now sealed and aging in the cheese cave for three months! I have plans to make more each weekend so we always have a steady supply. I'd like to age one for 6 months and one for 9 months also.


I also mentioned in my last post that I had a failed Cheddar because it didn't knit together while pressing - it was too dry and fell all apart. But it worked perfectly for Poutine with ice cream sodas!


Alex and I celebrated another month together with our monthly fondue night. This month it was Smoked Cheddar and Apple Fondue. I told Alex that once we settle in our forever home next year, he'll have to build me a smoker so I can make this fondue from scratch! :)

Buttercrunch
Iceberg

Romaine

My lettuces seemed to have doubled in size overnight, so we'll be eating a lot of salad in the next week to make up for the heavy cheesy meals of late! :)


We finally waited out the sales on the sweet cherries and bought some to make Cherry Bounce and Cherry Pit Liqueur.


We found the Cherry Bounce recipe online at Imbibe Magazine. We made it a few years ago and it is SO DELICIOUS. It's made with cherries, sugar, lemon juice and rye whisky. Alex wanted to try using the pits to make a liqueur with brown sugar and rum and that also turned out well so we've made some more and they'll be ready for tasting in 3 months.

********************


July 25th: Next Thursday's theme is X-Ray/Negative Image. Click on the link for ideas and inspiration! Remember it's all about creating. You can showcase your paintings, drawings, photography, sculpting, baking, poetry...whatever you like! :)

Thursday Art Date With Rain. Click on the link for a description of the art date as well as a list of upcoming themes.

Don't forget to add the URL link to your post (not your blog) to the link gadget below to share your wonderful creations! Please don't include a link unless you participate in the art date!

********************


33 comments:

  1. I always enjoy your Bugs 'n Daffy drawings, Rain! I adored Bugs Bunny as a kid! And man, those little squirrels are eating GOURMET food -- they're not EVER going to want to leave and eat what REGULAR squirrels eat! They'd be slumming it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bugs's outfit is something to behold! lol You and Alex eat well and I see that your squirrels do too! Love the photos of all the dogs watching. Who knew squirrel TV could be so entertaining, lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a fan of wearing orange and yellow, but I sure do love looking at the brightness and cheerfulness off those colors, and your artwork is so vivid and fun! I'm a serious cherry eater, and eat them out of the bag every day. I also love them in jams, tarts, ice cream and pies. They taste so good that I was surprised to know the health benefits. Those ice cream sodas look pretty magnificent, and congrats on another magical month of love! Hugs, RO

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhhh...poutine! it's never quite the same when i order it around here. the dogs just crack me up looking at the squirrels! i am preparing for the heat wave here. blah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rain,

    Your Looney Toon illustrations are always my favorite. I had hoped to join the art date but that didn't work out but I think I'll try extra hard to play along next week. The triplets are adorable. I came by last night and read that post with all of your cheesemaking news but failed to leave a comment. You have so many irons in the fire, I'm amazed how organized you are. I can learn much from you. I'd like to try to make homemade cherry pie filling from fresh cherries. Have a doodletastic day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your post gave me a lot to see! The cherry liqueur had me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I m so glad the squirrels did so well, your cheese sounds amazing! I’m not able to see the photos right now but I do have an audio description and they sound amazing! I just couldn’t not enter and join you, it’s Thursday!,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah dear Rain your post filled my morning with absolute joy and excitement :)))

    exquisite art indeed ,i never thought that i will LOVE this orange hut and scenery :) truly DIVINE and CHARMING ,perfect reflection of gorgeous sunset !

    Bugs and Daffy are delight through your painting ,each time i look at them and memories burst out with smiles

    mischievous bugs and angry daffy made my childhood and either my children's full of fun :)

    your art is GREAT!

    intriguing images :) such a wise decision about squirrels ,i hope they will adopt the new environment slowly as you made it easy for them

    haha audience is so cute and curious :)

    your plants are growing well :) and food is MESMERIZING i must say :)

    i need to learn Lot from you my friend
    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Rain! That cheese looks beautiful! The fail cheese looks awesome, too! Hope to be making cheese in October, after the wine is bottled and the garden slows. My heart goes out to those precious little squirrels! You have been such great foster parents! Thanks for the liqueur links...might need to try some! Got some little nubs on the pumpkins!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a feeling your little trio is not going to venture far. Not after all that marvelous food and tender loving care! There's no such thing as a cheese failure, is there? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Debra :) I love Bugs, everything about him, such a stinker. :) You know, I thought about that...if we keep feeding the squirrels such great stuff, they won't have any reason to leave the cage lol...but they definitely need to!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Leigh :) Yes! Squirrel TV is fun for everyone! :) When we let the dogs out in the yard, that's the first place they go, check out the squirrels then off to do some business lol!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks RO :) The cherries are so nice and sweet! I have some leftover that I'm snacking on too. We can only get them fresh this time of year, they're from Washington. So when they're in season, I get a lot (when the price is right!) and we eat cherries with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Joyce :) Yeah, the dogs are silly, they could sit there for hours. You should make your own poutine! We usually make it with Mozzarella and it's good that way too! The gravy we came up with really is very authentic too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Cathy :) If you have time, I'd love for you to join in next week! :) Homemade pie filling with the cherries is a great idea! I used to make a lot of cheesecakes, and that would work really well on those! In fact, you've given me a great idea, I'm going to see about making that type of filling with cherries (if they're still on sale!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Susan :) The cherry liqueur really turns out well!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Laurie :) I'm so happy you entered despite the difficulties you're facing right now! xx I hope that you will be able to see the photos on my posts very soon. The cheese is going to be really something. I weighed it, it comes in at just under 1kg!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks so much Baili :)) I'm so glad you love Bugs and Daffy too! I keep thinking of different ways that Bugs can annoy Daffy...the possibilities are endless lol...the squirrels have three more days in the cage, then we make the hole and they can go if they want...we are SO curious to see if they actually stay or go! The dogs love to watch them, it's really cute to see! And yes, we've had so much rain lately, the lettuces are so big...we have to eat them up soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Dino :) OH WINE MAKING....another thing on my list!!! I used to make my own wine a LONG time ago, I had all of the equipment...but I sold it when I moved to Prince Edward Island, I just didn't have the space, but that's definitely something I will try doing again once we're settled down. It just goes so well with CHEESE MAKING!!! :) What kind of cheese will you make? That Cherry Bounce is divine, I hope you try it. At 3 months of aging, it's perfect. Oooh nubs on the pumpkins!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Susan, you are totally right lol! :) NO such thing as a cheese fail! We will always eat them no matter what. I'm kind of hoping the squirrels stick around! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are such an inspiration, Rain! I loved every bit of this post! I love your art days. If I catch my tail, I'll participate at some point! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks so much Louise :) I do hope you participate, that would be fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Been eating a tad more cheese myself lately (store bought though...haha) to be sure I get the daily protein I need. Oh....your babes have grown so much and are ready to leave the nest so to speak. I love that you homed them and took care of them. They will do fine out on their own cause you doing things in steps. That is great.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks Pam :) We're pretty proud of how we've been taking care of the squirrels! Poor things were so helpless when we found them! Oh, more cheese is always a good thing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great looney toon cartoon - ...i haven't been here in awhile but visiting again reminded me of how i Like to see the food you are cooking. You guys eat so healthy. And those squirrel babies, are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks Sandy :) I'm loving doing the Looney Tunes lately, I have lots of ideas! I'm glad you enjoyed the post! The squirrels...they'll be leaving "home" in a few days, sigh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. So many things to see and read about in this post, Rain. First, the art is so colorful and while I'm not an artist, I always enjoy seeing the creativity of those who are artists. The squirrel videos were such fun and they are looking well and after seeing the great foods they get, being in the wild may come as a disappointment. You may find them back on your doorstep looking for snacks! The cheese poutine and ice cream soda sound like a great combo.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks Dorothy :) I was thinking the same thing, actually I was thinking are we spoiling the squirrels? I want to make sure they have a fighting chance on their own out there...we always fill our bird feeder anyway, and other squirrels used to partake in the feast...so maybe they will too. But they are showing signs of hoarding and they love to eat branches and pine cones, so let's hope they'll do okay! :) The poutine was amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Rain,

    Let me know how your cherry pie filling turns out! I'm working on a Thursday post to share with your art date. Thanks for stopping by to boogie with me yesterday on the 4M dance floor.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hey Cathy :) Well, I didn't have enough cherries after all to make a filling, but I made a coulis. I had about 2 cups of pitted cherries, added 1/4 cup water, 3 tbsp brown sugar and 2 tsp lemon juice - brought to a boil and then simmered about 10 minutes. We haven't tried it yet, but it's pretty darn thick! Maybe on ice cream tonight! Oh fun, I'm so happy you'll join in this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Realizing I hadn't read about the squirrels recently I can looking for you latest update on them. Those videos are too cute! Can't help but wonder if you've still got them or if they've been released at the point that I'm seeing this. How fun to follow along as they've grown. What a treat you've given your readers, Rain. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your lettuce is beautiful. Man, those baby squirrels eat good. I like your Babs drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your lettuce looks great.
    We've been eating a lot in salads as the weather here in the UK has been hot!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

❤ Thanks for your comment, I love hearing from everyone! ❤ Why not join me and my fellow artists every Thursday for TADD? That's Thursday Art and Dinner Date! It's a lot of fun!
Love,
Rain