Thursday, July 9, 2020

Thursday Art Date: Fairy Tales and Nursery Rhymes



Hello Friends! 😊😊

Welcome to Thursday's Art Date, today our theme is Fairy Tales and Nursery Rhymes. This is a favourite theme of mine. There is a fine line between what people consider a nursery rhyme vs. a folk song, I decided to go with a folk song for my first piece. Bugs is acting out the folk song "My Bonnie Lies Over The Ocean."

This was originally a song written by the Scots who supported Bonnie Prince Charlie. He'd fled to France to escape the English and the song was written in the wish that he would return to restore the Stuart (or Stewart) line to the Throne. Later it was changed to a folk song of a man longing for his girl to return from over the sea.


Here is a beautiful and fun version of the folk song; sung by Dean Reed and I believe it's the Everly Brothers. (Here is the link if the video doesn't load.)


For my nursery rhyme, I decided on a pen and ink drawing of Hey Diddle Diddle.

"Hey diddle diddle,
The Cat and the fiddle,
The Cow jumped over the moon.
The little Dog laughed, to see such sport,
And the Dish ran away with the Spoon."


For my fairy tale piece, of course, I did a Red Riding Hood abstract in watercolour and acrylic paint - this is my favourite fairy tale and I've done artsy variations of it about a dozen times.



Alex and I have had no running water going on five days now. If anyone read my last post, I mentioned that we were going to install a more powerful pump inside the well. We did...but it didn't work, the well was DRY. Alex and I were devastated...but we got some financing (barely) and had a new well dug. This happened yesterday, I'll write more about this on Sunday. We won't have our new pump hooked up to the house for a few more days though, I see a hot shower in my future...maybe on Monday! I took a video at the point where we reached water...300 feet down. It was the most welcome sight I've seen in a long time!

It's been a rough week for us. I really hope our luck changes soon! That's all for now folks! Please check out the link widget below for more Fairy Tales and Nursery Rhymes artwork!

********************

Abstract Blue and White Watercolour 2018

July 16th: Next Thursday's theme is Two Colours. Click on the link for ideas and inspiration! Remember it's all about creating. You can showcase your paintings, drawings, photography, sculpting, baking, poetry...whatever you like! 🎨

Thursday Art Date With Rain. Click on the link for a description of the art date as well as a list of upcoming themes. 

Don't forget to add the URL link to your post (not your blog) to the link gadget below to share your wonderful creations! The link gadget expires Sunday at noon (EST).

********************

19 comments:

  1. I am THRILLED that you have water. And hope the new well never goes dry. You will enjoy that shower.
    I love all your art too.
    The Red Riding Hood piece and your final abstract in particular. I would very, very happily give either of them a home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry I missed your Sunday update. My very unreliable internet was offline from Saturday through yesterday evening. I'm playing catch-up at the moment. Other than the washer not working, it sounds like things are going nicely. I wish I lived closer. I'd take those license plates off your hands and make a bird house out of them.

    Sounds like you were going to get the well option you were hoping for and more water than you initially expected. That was great news. Then I read the pump didn't work and you had to dig a deeper well. Not good news. I hope things work better soon. It's really difficult when you think you are buying the property of your dreams and learn there are tons of problems you didn't expect.

    That bull story was NOT a lot of bull, but rather scary.

    Bugs is looking good chasing his bonny. Or is that bunny (grin)? Loved the spoon running off with the cup drawing. I am not that clever, but I love, love, love what you have done.

    Hope you have a great Thursday. See you for the art date, even though I had intended to have my 2nd Thursday Tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful art again. Love the song and the tales you chose to illustrate. Sorry about the continuing water problems, sounds bad, but glad you have had a new well dug. Hope the hot shower will soon become reality and not just a fairy tale! Look after yourself, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rain, I have been working a lot this week so didn't get time to join your art date, I like your red riding hood acrylic. How wonderful it must be to see there is water down there somewhere - 300 feet is an incredible long way! The whole situation, responsibility and cost must be very stressful, I am so glad you have people that can do this job for you and the financing came through to get it done. I really wish you some good luck now and a hot shower! Betty x

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Bonnie how often I sang in the school choir or played in the accordion club. I loved it. Great the Bunnie drawn in the outfit.
    The nursery rhyme is sweet. The picture is super painted with the Bad Wolf with his glowing eyes and the Little Red Riding Hood!
    Oh that's also something with your water and hopefully it will be done soon!All the best to you two and you manage that you have such a strong will.
    Greetings Elke

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great art all of them and good news about the water. I really hope you get a good supply on water from now on. I also think some rain would help. :)
    My daughter lives in a countryside house and they have iron in it so it is not good for drinking and cooking. They bring drinking water home from work and gasstations where they can fill a can of water.

    For the art, my favorite is Little red riding hood. Love the contrast between the dark and the light.
    Take care and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am loving your abstract work. That red riding hood piece is genius. So glad you are getting water soon, will look forward to Sunday’s post. Oh the Bugs piece is wonderful too, who doesn’t know My Bonnie lies over the ocean. But I never knew the historic background, that was interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rain,

    I like both of your nursery rhyme scenes. The dish ran away with the spoon is delightful! :) A few years back when I finally pulled my pencil and paper out to challenge myself to see if I could draw I sketched Jack & Jill for the letter 'J' in the A to Z Challenge. If anyone is interested in seeing my drawing, click on the link [---> HERE. I won't add it to your linky party since I'm still officially on a blog break. Congrats on getting that well dug and hitting water! We take the basics for granted and it's when we're without them that we regret having taken those things so lightly. Have a good day, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I r joyed the music video and your Little Red Riding Hood painting is excellent.

    I am sure you went thru a lot of anxiety this past week after hearing that the well was dry, but once your new well is completed, all will be well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry about your well! it sounds like one of the problems with buying a rural property is not knowing exactly what you're getting into until it's too late. Well good news at least there's water down in the water table! Enjoy your shower!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have had so much bad luck!
    I'm happy you have water, though. That is essential!
    I'm too hot and irritable to sketch. Anyway, we get a new air conditioner on Monday. ("It's only money!")

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Thursday all. Though Cinderella is my favourite fairy tale, for my response to the prompt i went to Snow White and came in at #7 on the linky

    Much💖love

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I take sooo much for granted ~ Like running water! I'm so glad you found some! Blessings to you & your home & your weekend ~

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do like your pen and ink drawing of Hey Diddle Diddle :)

    I'm sending lots of good luck wishes …
    Take care.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Rain, I'm sorry getting your well dug was a bigger financial investment than you were hoping for. While this is painful, I'm sure, I hope your new well provides you the security of plenty of fresh water for your needs. BTW, I did enjoy the fun rendition of Bring Back my Bonnie to Me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Rain, thanks for posting the video and when water started flowing it made me think of when people struck oil. Hapy to hear that the new well will hopefully solve the water problems. Not having any is a real bummer and what's up with a new washing machine not working...maybe because of the water issue as well? Despite everything going on, you managed to give us all some new art and I enjoyed hearing the story behind the song too. My favorite was Bugs, as always. Glad you are keeping a cheerful and positive outlook through all these "issues." All part of the pitfalls of home ownership...and the joys as well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my, where to start ... well I guess I can tell you that I caught myself humming "My Bonnie lies over the ocean" last night while I was walking Izzi. So you have planted the seed in my memory of an old and very enjoyable song :)
    And how do you make a running cup look sexy ... hmmmm, even the spoon has a touch of desirability. Awesome, without a doubt. And I love Hey diddle diddle ... and will have to remember to tell it to my Granddaughter who is from Thailand and I am not sure she has ever heard it. My favorite, however, is Red Riding Hood. How you captured the ominous nature of that story with just the suggestion of the participants. That was genius ... I love it and it should be in your book when you publish :) As for the water issue, it did cost you, but you have a great solution that nobody can take away from you. Congratulation on your new well. I look forward to hearing about the first hot shower. Take care, Rain ... things are looking up and your future is smiling on you in your wonderful safe place.

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
  18. That video was cool especially when they jazzed it up in the middle. I love your cartoon characters, you do them so well and i saw up top that you now have water...wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG girl ... this is gonna be it now right ?? U have water and the rest will be easy peasy ... please. I am happy you got it all fixed and can see a shower in the near future. We had some trouble with our water pump in the past and I freak out when we have no water for a day...not so much worried about ourselves but the animals.
    Why do I not see the video ???
    I LOVE the little red riding hood painting !!! ❤

    ReplyDelete

❤ Thanks for your comment, I love hearing from everyone! ❤ Why not join me and my fellow artists every Thursday for TADD? That's Thursday Art and Dinner Date! It's a lot of fun!
Love,
Rain