Sunday, February 26, 2017

Aging: Can't Believe How Quickly Time Flies!


My birthday was last week but I was too sick to even think about it. Yesterday though, I felt better, so my boyfriend made the day pretty special. He got me a bottle of Maple and Canadian Whisky liqueur. I'm a huge fan of Canadian Whisky and I love maple syrup...this is like an adult dessert in a bottle! Yum!


He made these special coffees for us. He is quite the bartender and loves to try new things. For Christmas, "Santa" brought us a bottle of brandy cream liqueur, so he made us these layered coffees with milk/liqueur on the bottom, coffee in the middle and a sweetened foam on the top. Boy were they good!


My other prezzie was a subscription to Martha! And it's funny, because I laughed about our ripped couch together while I saw the nice one on the cover of the magazine. I don't think Martha lets her dogs up on this couch lol! 


We spent the whole day together watching movies, taking the dogs out and listening to the old Jack Benny radio show on You Tube. I can't believe I'm 49 years old, I have to say I DO NOT feel it. I really did have a rough time growing up and I have to say that I feel like my life started being joyful only about six or seven years ago. I've been through a lot and sometimes feel like three decades of my life were taken from me. I think that's why I have such a zest for life now, I don't want to waste a moment in the past. Not many people know this, but there is quite an age difference between my boyfriend and me...20 years to be exact! I'm the older woman and sometimes (especially on my birthdays), I get a little sad about it. And really, there is no reason to be because he never makes me feel old at all. But you know, sometimes I think about how we'll look together when I'm in my 60's and he's in his 40's! He knows I think about that once in a while, though I'm getting better at it! So he always reassures me and makes me feel so loved, I feel quite lucky I met him. And honestly, for the rest of the year, I really do feel like it's just a number. I feel young, and I am enjoying my life. Though I do have more aches and pains than I used to, I try to stay limber and strong with yoga and exercise. So...he made the day very special. I even got a glass of champagne before dinner!


My birthday dinner is one of my favourite dishes. Italian Cheese Fondue. This was a BIG test on my insides...all that cheese and a day of cocktails...but I fared well! I never tried Italian fondue before I met my boyfriend. His family made it all of the time; I was always used to Swiss cheese fondue. This one is made with tomatoes, red peppers, Mozzarella and garlic. It's all melted up and served with bread. The cheese never melts completely but that's part of the gooey yumminess :)


And for dessert, he bought a Ferrero Rocher cake. We cut it in half and froze the other half because it's so rich, even half a cake will take us a few days to eat! I feel I have gained a good 5 pounds from yesterday but it was worth it! :)

18 comments:

  1. Well Happy Birthday to you! All those drinks and food look like you had a wonderful time too. Those coffee drinks look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you have a wonderful man in your life. Don't worry about the numbers; don't dwell on the tomorrows, enjoy what you have because it is only about today and all the todays to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Starting Over :) He's great. I was single nearly 19 years before I met him and I got lucky :) And I agree...it's all about today and enjoying now. I used to get caught up way too much either in the past or in the future that I wasn't capable of enjoying the moment. Now I'm thrilled at each moment I have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Kristina :) The coffee drinks were AWESOME. I wanted more but I had to control myself lol...first thing in the morning and all! It really was a nice day. I was a little bummed out because my 49th year started with me being so sick! But now I feel good again :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A belated Happy Birthday to you! Nice drinks and a dinner too. Love your sense of humor keep it you will never know when you will need it. Rain just remember you are in good company because so often we never know what folks have struggled with or are currently. Have a wonderful week and keep us updated on all the homestead fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Goatldi! :) I love the company I keep, both at home and here on the blog world :) Makes me happy. I used to tell people my birthday was February 29th so that it wouldn't come up more than once every 4 years, but now that I have someone to share it with, I don't mind mentioning it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. late happy birthday! what a nice day you had! your boyfriend sounds like a special guy. i had an awful life too for so long. it made me enjoy the life i have now but it took a long long time. btw...i love your name!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy, happy belated birthday wishes to you, Rain! I believe age is truly just a number. We've all known people who were "old" at 50, and others who seem still young at 70 (or more!). Maintaining an interest in life (maybe TOO MANY interests for some of us!) is an important thing in staying vibrant and happy. The age difference between you and your guy? I think it's the way people mesh, enjoy the same things, have compatible personalities that count. Years ago I had a good friend who looked much older than she was. She had had gray hair from a young age and, unfortunately, her face was quite wrinkled. Wouldn't you know it, her husband (the same age as she) had a very "boyish" look to him. They were frequently taken as mother and son. (Arrrgh.) So you see age really doesn't matter. Not in my book, anyway!

    I absolutely LOVE your outlook on life and want to be just like you when I grow up. ;o] You truly are an inspiration. Happy 49th year, dear Rain!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Joyce :) I keep thinking of your poop cake lol...and you know...when we've had traumatic pasts, it DOES take a long time to heal. We can't fully heal, but we can somehow manage it and find joy and gratitude where maybe once we didn't think that was possible. Congratulations on your enjoyment of life! Seize every moment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Mama Pea, thank you!! xxx I have a neighbour who is 55 and she is "old" so I know what you mean. I plan to be the 90-year old spring chicken who is more active than the lazy smart-phone-addicted kids of today lol...my boyfriend often says he'll look older than me as we grow older together, but in a George Clooney type of way lol, hey I won't complain about that! ;) Well, I haven't yet been mistaken for mother and son, but my bf and I are a little evil when it comes to our sense of humour, and we'd likely play it up then start making out or something ha ha ha. Thanks again for all of your support :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What Mama Pea said and age is only important if you are a cheese or a wine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lol Goatldi, you are VERY correct!!! ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, happy belated birthday! You know what they say about age, "Age is all a matter of mind. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!" Sounds like you have come to terms with yourself and are letting yourself enjoy life! And it sounds like your boyfriend is a real gem!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much Leigh :) Everything you said is true and it's nice to let go of self-doubt and insecurity. I sometimes do find myself wishing I had the light bulb moment earlier on, but I'm grateful for all of the life lessons and really proud of how I live my life now! And yes, he is a gem. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Belated Birthday!!!! I'm so glad I came over to your blog! What a great boyfriend you have....I was married twice and I was never treated like that....thus, the reason I have been single for 20 some years! LOL! They are out there and I think the younger generation is much better and more equal so you are smart to be with a younger man! LOL! I raised my sons that way and with some of them it took and a few were like their Dads. I am so happy that you have found happiness. We need lots of positive energy going out into the universe right now.
    Those drinks look so yummy and the cake and the fondue....I'm hungry now! LOL! I used to get Martha but she is a very unrealistic role model so don't hold yourself up to her standard or you'll go nuts! But like they say 'Reach for the moon because even if you don't make it you'll at least land among the stars'. I hope you have a wonderful year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you Sam!! :) Funny, I was alone 19 years before I met him. I kind of gave up on men after the last one when I was 24. But I started to get lonely so I tried online dating and that's where we met! I am having fondue cravings again...and yes, Martha is way too high up there for me lol...but I love her ideas. That magazine is a luxury item for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so glad you have someone who loves you to share you life - it is so wonderful! Sounds like you had a wonderful birthday (the second part of it - you know, the one with good booze and great eats). Would love the recipe for that fondue! We must have matching sofas - mine is certainly not a MS sofa! I hope your year is filled with joy and love and all good things!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you Susan :))) I'll post the recipe for you!! :) I have to remember to do that. I don't think I'll ever have a Martha sofa lol...

    ReplyDelete

❤ Thanks for your comment, I love hearing from everyone! ❤ Why not join me and my fellow artists every Thursday for TADD? That's Thursday Art and Dinner Date! It's a lot of fun!
Love,
Rain