Friday, March 10, 2017

Painting :)


This is the watercolour of Jack that I did yesterday :) Hmm......he looks a little sad doesn't he? I think that's his "I'm starving, I want your bagel" face. 

Thanks for the encouragement Mama Pea and Susan. I'm shy about my paintings. Sometimes I feel like I'm tooting my own horn when I post about my hobbies and my cooking. But I think that is the side of me that I'm trying to really overcome- the insecure Rain. But during the worst of my depression, I decided either I live or I give up. I chose to live my life to the fullest. I try so hard to stay positive and to fill as many moments in my life with good, creative, delicious and happy things. We only live once and I don't want any more regrets at all. I lost a lot of years and I'm making up for them now.


I walked around the house this sunny morning and took photos of all the paintings I've done and I have to say, I didn't realize there were so many! This is one I did for my boyfriend for last Christmas. I've mentioned that he had really nice memories of his grandmother. He showed me a photo of her cottage once and I decided to paint it for him. He loved it!


I painted these two for Halloween last year. I started painting in 2004 after my work burnout. I did art therapy. I HATED it!!! Every painting I did was black with some kind of red barbed wire in blotches. Of course the therapist did find lots of meaning in them, but I didn't feel that the art therapy helped me at all. But then I met an elderly woman who lived near me. I forget how we met. She was a painter and lived by herself and told me to come over anytime to paint with her. That's when I started to dabble with acrylics.


The "oranges". The bottom painting started off with just my two pugs, kind of a dedication to the two loves of my life who passed away in 2011 and 2014. Then it grew into the pet painting as I added the cats and each dog that we adopted! It'll keep growing over the years I'm sure! It's hung up right in front of me so I see it every time I look up :)



This is the wall in my office. A few years back I downloaded all of Bob Ross' "The Joy of Painting" PBS series. I used to watch him a lot back in the day and I decided to try out oil painting. Most of these are oils with some acrylics mixed in. His instructions are really easy and gave me confidence with oils. You can find some episodes on You Tube. This got me hooked on painting! And well, I was in a romantic mood when I painted the bottom right painting of my boyfriend and me kissing :)


These are the paintings my boyfriend wanted for his office, the Shipwreck is an oil and the other three are acrylics. The red one is my version of Little Red Riding Hood. :) It's hard to see here, but the wolf is very fierce with red glowing eyes...just waiting for Red to visit :) Bwah ha ha ha! :)


The black and whites are in my boyfriend's office too. The first one is a very famous film noir scene from the 1950 film The Big Combo. I made it for my boyfriend one year as a gift when he asked me to make him a film noir painting. :)



These are on the walls around our "breakfast bar" - basically where we eat all of our meals. We don't really have a dining room - I use it for my office so we eat at the "bar".




These are the last three acrylics I did last winter. I love using blues and doing landscapes - I cannot draw for my life so portraits and a lot of detail are very challenging for me! I'm not ashamed to say I DO USE TRACING PAPER!!! :) I get a lot of my ideas from browsing images online. I'm slowly starting to come up with my own ideas, but I still lack that confidence darn it! It'll come with time! :)


I started doing watercolour painting last spring - and I'll be honest - because it is much cheaper than buying canvas and acrylic/oil paint!! I wanted to keep painting but the budget was so tight that I just bought a watercolour pad and some paints for $25 and away I went. I remember the first watercolour I did was last April, sitting on the porch in mild weather with my easel :) I started with landscapes, but I branched out to do some things I've never done before, like the shark scene and the seahorse. 


I started on some fairy tale stuff like Sleepy Hollow and Moby Dick. The top right painting is my version of The Little Mermaid (you can kind of see her swimming under the creepy boat in the water). The butterfly is the last one I did before Jack. I really fell in love with this medium!! For a long time, all of these paintings were filed into a large file folder...awaiting the day where I could afford to frame them. They buckle because I don't have the best quality paper so I wanted to keep them flat and safe until framing. But last month I realized that I won't be able to afford to frame them for some time. So up they went onto the stairway wall with pushpins!!! My watercolour wall! Jack will be added once he's dry :) Now I have to think about painting the huskies and the cats!!!



And finally, this is the abstract series that I did in January. My boyfriend is a musician and he is putting out some new material in the near future. He asked me to paint a series of abstract watercolours for him. He wanted blues and whites and flow but chaos at times. I have to say...abstract is not my favourite way of painting and I felt SO UNCOMFORTABLE showing these to him, but to my real surprise and delight, he genuinely loved each one! He's used bits of all four in his backgrounds for the CD covers and booklets, as well as the cassette covers and booklet. Makes me kind of proud of that! I'm not too fond of these, though I love the second one because I used salt to get some kind of texture! He has these safely tucked away because he wants to frame them :)


When the fur kids are busy chewing their bones, it's time for me to relax! Relaxing each day before I eat is really important so that my food doesn't get stuck and painting does the trick :) I really think that hobbies are wonderful. I learned the hard way that work isn't the be-all and end-all of an accomplished life. I have so many things I want to try, my list is endless! I love seeing my Blogger friends' projects and accomplishments, they inspire me to keep creating! My boyfriend and I chose to live a simple life 3 years ago when we moved back up north. It's nice to have money for lots of "stuff", but that doesn't do it for us anymore and we'll never go back to the grind. As long as we have enough for our needs and to keep the pets happy and healthy, we're just fine! For me anyway, nature, hobbies, simplicity and a good, safe, loving and harmonious home life are the secrets to my happiness and gratitude! :)

Thanks for reading :)

26 comments:

  1. rain...your paintings are wonderful! never lack confidence because you are doing it! so many people never get in touch with their creative side! the only one you need to please is you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH my are you ever talented!!!! They're all beautiful! When I got sick and had to retire early...I was going blind but a couple miracles later I could see and I signed up for a Bob Ross course taught by a retired Navy guy...long story short....I painted and have about 5 or 6 to show for it. It's not really my favorite thing but it started me on my adventure of reinventing myself and finding out what would really make Sam happy after spending a life trying to make others happy. I also realized you cannot MAKE others happy....it's something we all have to find for ourselves. I'm so happy that you found what makes you happy! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joyce! :) Thank you :)))) It's very true that most people miss such a great opportunity to find their creativity. I think it's so important to be creative every day. I really do love painting...I know that I'll get over the insecurities as time goes on, it's tough though when it's been ingrained in your thinking most of your life. I work on it daily :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks you Sam :))))) Oh my, that must have been a scary time in your life, thinking you'd lose your sight! Oh how horrible, I'm so HAPPY that you recovered! I can't imagine...I'm so like you...I was a people pleaser my entire life...I was not MY priority ever. Now I am. I'm so happy you have/are reinventing yourself to make YOU happy. It's a hard lesson to learn sometimes, that the most important person is ME. I used to desperately try to make everyone happy around me, but I was miserable. Now I'm happy and so is my little family :)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have fantastic talent and a great eye! I can't paint a straight line :)

    Love your pictures, all of them!

    We watch Bob Ross on Netflix. Love his shows! I remember watching them on PBS too.

    Dianna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rain, your talent blows me away. I hardly know what to say. Never, never, ever stop creating. Please continue to post your paintings as you finish them. Some are absolutely beautiful, some are haunting, some are out of this world. You have talent falling from your finger tips. Oh. My. Thank you for sharing with all of us and please continue to do so. I so look forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just found your blog a few weeks ago Rain and have enjoyed every post. But I must say, this one took my breath away. You are a very talented painter! There are so many I would love to snatch away from you and hang very proudly in my home. Perhaps you should consider an ebay account to feature your paintings and sell to people like me! Keep up the good work. X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Dianna :)))) I can't paint a straight line either, thus the landscapes lol...well, unless I've already traced one! I recently watched a 90 minute biography on Bob Ross and it was so heartwarming. I would have loved to meet him :) Here's the link, it's on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZrQQg7Lioo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Mama Pea, I'm actually happy I posted these now, thanks for encouraging me :) I really appreciate your comment, thank you! xx I told my boyfriend about the post and he said I'd been visibly anxious all morning lol...I have to overcome this insecurity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Camille :) Thank you so much :)) I wonder how people go from being hobby painters to actually selling their work...I don't think I'm ready for that yet :) That's a big compliment though, I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have nothing (N.O.T.H.I.N.G) to feel insecure about. You have so much talent!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your paintings are amazing. :) I particularly love the abstract ones but that is likely because those are ones I could do myself. I'm planning to get back into art this year myself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, I'm just a regular person, but I think your paintings are worthy of hanging and showing off, as well. You really are talented and I hope that you continue to paint and show them to us, I love seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't stop painting ever. Is this something you could do for income or would making it work kill the thrill? The things that feed our soul should stay that way for many of us. Others seem to be able to combine the two.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Snoskred :))) Thanks so much! Funny, I'm not a fan of those abstracts, and for me, they were really hard to do, I had no clue where to begin! I hope you do get back to art very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Tina :))) Thank you so much for your comment and your encouragement :) I will definitely post as I go. I tend to paint more in the spring, I guess the season inspires me :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. HI Goatldi :)) I think you're right about what feeds the soul should stay that way. I have some hobbies that I know I could turn into a little money making, but I prefer to keep them hobbies. I think that they would lose their allure for me if I turned them into revenue. Thanks for your comment :)))

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, I like your paintings, I used to do a lot of painting but not so much in the last couple of years. I like your paintings better than the ones Bob Ross did but then he only had half an hour. I learned so much from watching Helen Van Wyk on TV and studying her books along with the impressionists. Here is an old site that has some of my paintings: https://sites.google.com/site/gillpollardsart/
    I still have some at Black Dog Salvage but they never get shown on the TV show, I need to do more but it seems that I always have something else to do ahead of painting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you Gill! :))) Thank you for the link, your paintings are beautiful, I especially love the boat in the water scene. I love how you describe the water as you went fly fishing...I'm a fisherwoman and I'm going to have to open my eyes more as I fish this summer so I can "see" like you describe. I'm not sure I can "see" yet though. I really hope that you find time to paint again, we need to balance everything out! I just looked for some videos with Helen Van Wyk on You Tube, thanks for the suggestion, I'm going to watch some clips from her show.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awwww ... Jack does look sad.
    I love all your painting and u know that :) it's nice to see them all in one post ... there was some I hadn't seen yet :) when ubstart selling, let me know so I can order one of my horses ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lol...I can TRY to paint a horse, but you have no idea how long it took me to do Jack...I find any type of portrait so difficult, but I guess the only way to get better at it is to keep practicing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I absolutely love all your paintings. You have true talent. I especially love the "Orange" with all your fur babies. What a wonderful idea to add them as they came into your life!!!!! GREAT idea!

    Deena From Texas

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you so much Deena! :))) I figure if I run out of room for the fur kids, I can make an identical painting on the right side with the tree going the other way! I have my two pugs' ashes on the shelf in front of me with their photos and leashes too. My fur babies mean/meant so much to me, they have a huge part of my heart and need a special spot on the wall :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm so glad you pointed to this link in your recent post because your artwork is spectacular! You are seriously talented. And it's wonderful that you have this incredible creative outlet. It's very relaxing. My husband and I live the same simple life as you two. Life is too short for the rat race. There is so much beauty around to explore and so many simple yet joyful things to try. We've chosen to have less money and less stuff in exchange for more free time and less stress.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Martha! :)) Thanks so much! I don't think a lot of people think they can do it, live more simply that is. I think a lot of people "think" they need lots of money to have lots of stuff and be happy, but to people like us and to you and your hubby, we've found our secret to happiness and feeling content! I've learned that time is too fleeting and you can lose everything almost overnight. What's important to me is surrounding myself with love firstly. This is Alex and the pets. Love is also about treating myself with love, which was a hard lesson for me to learn since I was always an unhealthy people pleaser! I show myself love by taking care of my health and my looks, and also by doing things like painting, being creative in the kitchen and now with all the cheese making. Little things are very important to me! When my home is harmonious and full of happiness and love, I'm VERY fulfilled!

    I like that you're interested in the paint by numbers too. It's a great way to start and honestly there are some really nice paintings out there that you can recreate! I was looking on Amazon when you mentioned going to Michael's and I was surprised to see the ones offered.

    ReplyDelete

❤ Thanks for your comment, I love hearing from everyone! ❤ Why not join me and my fellow artists every Thursday for TADD? That's Thursday Art and Dinner Date! It's a lot of fun!
Love,
Rain