Thursday, August 19, 2021

Thursday Art Date: Reflections and Mirrors


Hello Friends! 😊😊

Welcome to Thursday's Art Date, today our theme is Reflections and Mirrors. Bugs Bunny is definitely expecting the magic mirror to tell him he's the fairest of them all!! (And the sneakiest!!)





Here is Harpo Marx, drawn in charcoal. I chose Harpo this week because there is a fantastically funny mirror scene in the Marx Brothers movie Duck Soup where Harpo apes Groucho - trying to trick him into thinking he's looking into a mirror.




Here's the scene from that movie - I love those Marx Brothers!

Lucille Ball re-created that same scene in one of her shows where Harpo guest-starred, here's that scene as well, my gosh Lucy was one of the great comedians!! 



Kiefer Sutherland was in a horror/thriller movie called Mirrors, so I decided to draw his portrait in ink and graphite. He is such an intense actor, I really loved him in the television show 24 - which I binged watched over one-week's time in the summer of 2011! I drew him from one of the 24 promo photos online. You may also remember the post I did where I talked about being an extra in one of his films!




More reflections - both in the water and in my mind 😊 ...a self-portrait by the moon, painted with acrylics!




My latest art tutorials are up on my YouTube channel! Click on the images above or the links below to check them out!

Let's Draw Tweety Bird (real time with voice)
Let's Draw Harpo Marx (real time with voice)


My latest video is also up on my Spiritual channel! If you'd like to see it, please click on the image or this link:
Kitchen Magic: Making Homemade CheezWhiz


Back by popular demand...FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!! We had a few nights of tortillas: Scrambled eggs with green onions on melted Cheddar, egg whites with Feta and tomatoes on melted Cheddar; and scrambled eggs with green onions, homemade salsa on melted Cheddar...notice the melted Cheddar theme here! 😊 



More cheesy goodness...our monthly cheese fondue and a pizza poutine with grape ice cream sodas! The pizza poutine is fries topped with Mozzarella, Parmesan petals and hot pizza sauce!


I made another one of those easy pies...I used the Fluffy Key Lime Pie recipe, but substituted the graham cracker crust with chocolate cookie crumbs...and switched out the lime yogurt and Jello for cherry yogurt and Jello and it turned out amazing!


These are my lazy furries trying to keep cool during our current heat wave!


This week's highlighted artist/blogger is "EC" from Elephant's Child blog! I love visiting EC's blog, mainly because she shows me photos of kangaroos, which I will never see in my lifetime in person! She features photos of wildlife and her garden and hosts "Words For Wednesdays" - every Wednesday, a meme encouraging you to write! Please visit her blog! πŸ’— 




LEAVE A COMMENT AND YOU MAY BE NEXT WEEK'S FEATURED ARTIST/BLOGGER!


That's all for now folks! Please check out the link widget below for more "Reflections and Mirrors" creations! See you soon!!! πŸ’— πŸ’— 

**************************************


Upcoming Art Dates For Rain's Thursday Art Date:

August 26th: Rough Textures
September 2nd: Fine Art - Expressionism
September 9th: Fine Art - Minimalism
September 16th: Fine Art - Pop Art
September 23rd: Fine Art - Sculpture
September 30th: Fine Art - Surrealism

Click on the links for ideas and inspiration! Remember it's all about creating. You can showcase your paintings, drawings, photography, sculpting, baking, poetry...whatever you like! 🎨

Don't forget to add the URL link to your post (not your blog) to the link gadget below to share your wonderful creations! Please revisit to make sure you don't miss those who join in a little late! All spam and non-related links will be removed! The link gadget expires Friday at midnight (EST).

**************************************


32 comments:

  1. Love your art, your delicious food and your furry family.
    Stay as cool as you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful posting with all the drawings of you and the great food!
    So sweet to see your gang of animals. I'm sorry that I couldn't take part with you, but at the moment there is so much going on in my head and I can hardly get it on the paper or to post. I am happy that I made it after all. It's good that you are so cool with the heat! Take good care of you! Greetings from you,hugs Elke

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Rain, you have put together an interesting collection here for the theme. I like your self portrait complete with hat - very much your signature!
    Nice to see your pets chilling out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Rain,

    Love the Buggs and the magic mirror. I always laughed at the I love Lucy show, the show with Harpo Marx was one of my favorites. You have such a calming sounding voice during your video, I wish I was more of an artist.
    Your furbabies all look comfy and happy. Your food looks delicious, cheese, pizza and pasta, are some of my favorites. YUM! Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those videos! Such fun. And I really like your Harpo charcoal. Nice to see your yummy dishes and fur babies too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. my favorites today: Bugs, Harpo M and your Self-reflection. That one is great.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed the art and food. Great self-portrait! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful creative art love the self portrait. Delicious food glad your pets could keep cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...everything is better with cheese! I'll be back tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful self portrait Rain! I think you should add that as a feature of your blog/Youtube Channel.

    Lots of sleeping happens around here as well - the heat means that Poppy The Brave only goes out for a bit, and A will sit in his catio for a few minutes and then retreat in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That grape ice cream soda looks divine. You inspire me to make one. And I love that portrait of Kiefer Sutherland, it looks so much like him.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another awesome day of drawing. Your work amazes me. I played along this week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. As always, your art amazes me. Both Kiefer and Harpo are excellent. J knew who they were before I read it. You also amaze me in the kitchen. Switching flavors out for the pie would never have crossed my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting collection! Loved visiting ur blog

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your art! Your fur babies are so cute. How is your garden coming along? Any major weather changes? I saw a lot of smoke from the Canada fires in the West. Hope your air is clearer over there?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your drawings are so amazing and lifelike, Rain. Your food looks great too, I’m off to check out your cheese whiz video.

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG Girl! You have been so busy this week. You know I am off to watch the cheese whiz vidi. I love your mirror mirror and Kiefer oh yeahhh. I love that movie too. All of you food looks so good but I would love to have an ice cream soda. You know your fur kids are content with photos like this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Another Thursday comes round!
    Great art, and I thought the video clips a good choice too.
    So pleased that your 'lazy furries' could keep cool.

    Have a good week.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  19. I do enjoy your posts. Beautiful and yummy!
    happy to see the critters, too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for remembering to Lucille Ball. I'm a great fun, she was funny.

    Have a good week, dear Rain.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello Rain ... as always, I am loving your post. We both chose the "mirror, mirror on the wall" theme, only your bugs is much more convincing as the wicked queen. I was never a big fan of the Marx brothers, but my husband was, so I did sit through many of their movies. Lucy, on the other hand, was a favorite and I do remember that episode with Harpo. She really was a hoot ... not many like her. And I loved "24" with Kiefer Sutherland. I wish they had continued it. He always had me sitting on the edge of my seat. Your drawing is amazing ... really captured him. I do remember you telling us about being an extra in his movie. That had to be exciting. Is he as cool in person as in the movies?
    I love your self portrait. Not many people are recognizable in silhouette, but I would have known you in an instant, even without you saying who you were. A great and unique self portrait.
    I sat through your cheese making and you make it look so easy ... but is it? I don't know, but I may have to try it. My husband likes Cheez Whiz so he might like a home made version. I'll let you know when I take the plunge :)
    Your egg dishes look delicious and again something I could do ... more to try and enjoy. I love cheese, but have to be careful about how much I eat. It can add the pounds and as I am trying to take the pounds off, I am limited. I don't even want to comment on your Cherry Pie (oh to die for :( ) it does look delicious :)
    So glad you chose Sue for your highlighted blog. She is sooooo awesome and sweet and kind and smart. She was a perfect choice :) All for now, my friend ... thank you again for teaching me your new trick. I will have to use it again before I forget how to do it< Ha! Be well, Rain ...

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
  22. Unbelievable how good you are! Love the pictures of your "family" and the "cooking" is always fun to look at! enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my, Rain! You leave me breathless with all that you do! I love your blogs, and I will go visit Elephant's Child. I've been meaning to for a while. She frequently visits my blogging friend Geo at Trainride of the Enigmas, and I run into her at a number of other blogs I visit. I'm late posting and linking. I was wiped out after getting back from Vegas and had a bunch of appointments staring at 7:15 am the morning after we returned. What was I thinking? LOL! Love your drawings and photos. I'll get to your YouTube channels. Hugs to you, my talented friend!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Rain,

    Loved Bugs as the Evil Queen reflecting in the mirror! WOW, you did a fabulous job on Harpo! You keep getting better and better with your portraits. I loved Kiefer in 24! You did a good job capturing his likeness. Now for the food - it all looks yummy! We used to make grape ice cream soda. It's been a long time since we've enjoyed on. I must do something about that!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great picture of Harpo Marx. The eyes are magnificent. After seeing your mention of the show 24, and remembering that my son had told me about it a few weeks ago, I went into my library account tonight and tried to reserve it. Only to find out I already had it on hold. I have no idea how long that's been the case, but hopefully I'll get it one of these days and give it a try. I enjoyed Kiefer Sutherland in Designated Survivor - until it became unbelievable - which sounds really silly to say after episode one. lol

    ReplyDelete
  26. i am amazed the way you utilize your energy to share your inner beauty with us dear Rain!!!!!!!!!!!

    loved the bunny ,i adore your art and how brilliant you are at everything you do wow ,you choose wonderful art titles s well

    i have seen some such mirror scenes and their timing stunned me always :)

    loved the actor painting it is marvelous !!!!!!!
    loved the most self portrait ,it is fascinating and enchanting !!!!!!!!

    kitchen magic is splendid and i wish i can adopt a bit of energy and magic you have within ,you are inspiration indeed!
    hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks my friends for your comments and support! I am hearing a lot of you telling me I have a calming voice, it's funny, I never thought of it that way. I can be very soft spoken...the fact that it's mentioned so often in a positive way makes me think that I should record some meditation videos...so thank you my friends for those comments! AND...I'm glad I inspired some of you to make some grape ice cream sodas!!! ☺☺☺

    I'll answer a few here:

    Elke: SO happy to see you back!! :)

    TB: Thank you! I filmed my silhouette self-portrait and I'll be uploading it in September!

    Nancy (from Boise): I harvested my garlic!!! 67 bulbs omg...I made a video I'll be uploading it next weekend!!

    Andrea: Not a fan of the Marx Brothers hmmmmm? I'll have to let that one go. LOL... ;) That movie where I was an extra, it was Kiefer's first movie and he played a bit of a dweeb in it, NOTHING like Jack Bauer!!! :) And YES...the Cheez Whiz IS easy!!! Try it! :) I'm so glad I could show you that little trick, it's fun to share things like that, and now that I'm a video star (lol), it's even more fun to share it through video! ☺☺

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi! Thank you again for reaching out :) I needed that!! I love your self portrait with the moon ~ very pretty. Lot's of food pics...and it's lunch time ~ Yum. Lucille Ball is a riot ~ thanks for the laugh too. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello Rain. Sorry I'm late.

    Did you know that when someone reaches a certain age, they avoid mirrors?

    I love your gooey cheese dishes but do worry that cheese is not all that healthy. But we do enjoy a lasagne, flat fish and prawns in a cheese sauce, cheese on toast, cheese and onion crisps (chips), Stratford Blue cheese or a cheese and ham quiche. Parmesan too! I guess that means we like cheese?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wonderful to see your expressive art Rain.
    I did your tweetie bird tutorial, it was fun, thank you.

    You do look as though you keep busy, art, critters, food.

    also I enjoyed the Lucy clip, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Rain, first thanks very much for the comment on my anniversary post which showed our wedding day. it was so nice to read all the comments! Your furries have the best idea on how to keep cool during a heat wave which is to do nothing! Yes, to all the cheddar cheese meals and that easy pie looks so good, but I am not making any desserts right now. Chilled watermelon has been our evening treat the past few weeks, along with cherries some nights because tis the season for both of these. I agree that your voice is calming and perhaps you should consider doing some mediation videos.

    ReplyDelete
  32. A nice mix here to read about.

    ReplyDelete

❤ Thanks for your comment, I love hearing from everyone! ❤ Why not join me and my fellow artists every Thursday for TADD? That's Thursday Art and Dinner Date! It's a lot of fun!
Love,
Rain