Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Scribble Picnic and GHOSTS!!!


Hello Friends! :)

I hope you're all doing well :) The theme for today's Scribble Picnic is "Bottle" (please follow the link for more art or to join in!). The very first Looney Tune cartoon that came to mind when I thought of "bottle" was Carrotblanca. Poor Bugs is hitting the carrot juice pretty hard!


I know "they" say to read your labels, but I honestly have never read the front of my Worcestershire bottle before...brings food alive huh? Hmmm...


This may not turn out well... :) 


We opened up a jar of Absinthe-flavoured cherries we'd canned in the summer of 2017...Oh my, what a great combination of flavours!!! Alex made us some Old Fashioned's to celebrate that success! :)

Sleepy Jack

Time to rest up...Halloween is right around the corner! I'm very excited and have lots of fun stuff planned that I will be sharing over the next few weeks! Do you have big plans? :)

👻👻👻👻👻👻👻👻👻👻 GHOSTOBER!! 👻👻👻👻👻👻👻👻👻👻

I post these daily on Instagram, but I'd like to share my Ghostober paintings and ghost stories with my Blogger friends too. Here is the artwork I've done for the last few weeks:

"Apparition" (watercolour): An apparition is a sudden manifestation of a spirit who is trapped in a certain place. Usually an apparition will appear out of the corner of your eye, when you turn to look at it, it will be gone! 

"Battlefield Ghosts" (watercolour): Battlefield Ghosts are spirits of dead soldiers who are trapped in the battlefields where so much death and destruction took place. They haunt these areas seeking out their fellow slain soldiers and their horses.

"The Bell Witch" (ink and watercolour): The Bell Witch is a woman who was allegedly cheated out of a land deal by John Bell. On her deathbed, she swore revenge on him, stating that she would haunt his home, his family and all of his descendants. She created poltergeist activity in the home, and caused physical harm to the inhabitants, including the children and the farm animals on the land. It is believed that her spirit played a hand in John Bell's death by poisoning.

"Dryads" (acrylic): Dryads are protective tree spirits and have been known to lure lost travelers into the depths of the woods as an act of vengeance towards humans who destroy forests.

"The Flying Dutchman" (acrylic): The Flying Dutchman is a legendary ghost ship that can never make it to port and is doomed to sail the oceans forever.

"Grim" (acrylic): The Grim was thought to be invented during the time of the Black Plague. Because death was so rampant and terrifying, people personified the horrors with a supernatural creature who came to claim lives.

"Hungry Ghost" (acrylic): A Hungry Ghost is the spirit of a deceased person who was greedy and envious. They have necks the size of pins and cannot swallow, they roam the earth endlessly looking for food which they cannot eat.

"Madeline Usher" (watercolour): In Poe's "The Fall of the House of Usher", Roderick Usher, distraught and mad, buries his sister Madeline alive because he believes that his deadly fate is connected to his family name and his home. Believing that he is the last Usher to survive, he feels he has conquered his doom until one night his bedroom door bursts open to reveal Madeline standing there. He is terrified as she approaches him, she falls on to him, accompanying him into his death, as the House of Usher shatters, sinks into the ground and disappears forever. 

"Mrs. Wessington's Ghost" (watercolour): From Rudyard Kipling's "The Phantom Rickshaw". After being discarded for a younger woman, Agnes Wessington dies of a 'broken heart'. She haunts the man who betrayed her relentlessly. At first he sees her old rickshaw all around town, then he sees her riding in it, then eventually she appears to him constantly until he loses his mind and his new bride to be.

"Oiwa" (watercolour and acrylic): The Oiwa is the ghost of a woman who was poisoned and disfigured by her husband. When she learns of his plans to disgrace her, she fatally uses a sword to cut her throat. In death, she takes revenge and haunts her husband until he isolates himself goes mad.

"Shellycoat" (watercolour): A Shellycoat is an evil spirit and boogeyman who haunts the rivers and streams of Scotland. Calling out this rhyme is a dangerous deed: "Shelly-coat! Shelly-coat! gang awa' hame, I cry na' yer mercy, I fear na' yer name." Those who have recited this rhyme in areas where the Shellycoat resides, end up with broken bones and bruises - IF they're lucky!!

"The Snow Ghost" (ink and watercolour): The Snow Ghost is a winter mountain spirit. She appears on snowy nights to travelers who are trapped in snow storms, she leads them astray with her beauty. Her goal is to feed on their life force, often freezing her victims solid or leaving them to die of exposure. During nighttime blizzards, she has been known to break into rural homes, flash-freezing the inhabitants as she feeds on them.

"The Unquiet Grave" (watercolour and acrylic): The Unquiet Grave is a poem (I also read it's a folk song), about a man mourning the love of his life at her gravestone. Her ghost arises and begs him to move on so she can rest in peace.

47 comments:

  1. Worchestershire sauce brings food to life? That sounds horrifying!

    Not a fan of ghost stories...but your artwork is cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great spooky artwork, Rain! Love your take on W Sauce too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor bugs! Carrot juice might not cut it. I'll think twice about adding any Worchestershire sauce to anything dead on Halloween! Who knows what might happen. I've been enjoying your Ghostober postings on Instagram. You should make a book out of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. bugs - always fun to see him. not a fan of halloween either, I really prefer not to get scared.

    have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow...you sure have been busy! wonderful work rain! we finally have cool weather and i am in heaven. i'm so busy too! it's that time of year. i have to put together my trick or treat bags but other than that, i am working on thanksgiving. full speed ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW...you have been busy with drawing! Loving your take on the bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like how you're having fun with the Scribble challenges. That's some hardcore liquor there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! So many well done pictures! Very enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Looney Tune piece Rain. I love carrots but for some reason have never had a good carrot JUICE! As for Worcestershire sauce (Michael and I know how to pronounce it), I've never tried it on pizza, but will next time.

    Don't you ever sleep girl? Where do you find the time to get so much done - your amazing art, and everything else?

    BTW, any good cheese making going on lately Rain - just saying!!!
    I'm nagging Costco to bring back the Humboldt Fog - my favorite, but very expensive, cheese. Last year they sold a small wheel at a super price, now I'd have to get it at Whole Foods and it's SO expensive there.

    Hope you and Alex have a fine week - hugs, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Rain! Great art work and I wish I had the ability to draw. Never more than stick figures...lol.
    We have some kids on the ridge here who trick or treat on horseback! They dress themselves and the horses. I have several bags of treats made up. Other than that we are very quiet here in the country.
    I am with Mary on the cheese making, and anxious to know if you have made anything new. Have a Spooktacular Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I say use that Worcestershire Sauce at your own peril. hehe

    WOW! You have been so prolific with you sketches...well done to you! I love your Scribble Picnic piece! I think the Dryads is my favourite out of the rest of them because humans do need pay-back for all the damage we incur to the forests worldwide.

    ReplyDelete
  12. bringing food alive ? this idea is so scary dear Rain!

    absolutely enjoyed your story and AMAZINGLY SCARY paintings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will never look at a bottle of WS in the same way! LOL! Love your accompanying drawing....my thoughts exactly! Your Ghostober artwork is fantastic and I never heard of most of them or their stories....pretty scary! I've got my Halloween decorations up and have a box of 'treats' to send to the grands and I think they are sending me one. Halloween is big in our family. I'm glad you are enjoying the time up to Halloween. I have to plan 'the food' now. What are you guys having? I so love reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You sure know your spooky art lol beautiful ! If I didn't know better I would say you love Halloween lol , I do too!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have so many talents, Rain. Thank you for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yikes, those are a little tooooooo creeeepy, for me. -giggles-

    "Absinthe-flavoured cherries we'd canned in the summer of 2017" How did you get Absinthe, to flavour cherries???? Can you simply purchase it, in a liquor store? I've never had it. But all the "Green Faerie" stuff, makes me want to do so. !!!!!!!!

    But then, all the prep, to make a drink, according to "instructions," is off-putting too. ,-)

    ✨🍁🎃🍁✨👻✨🍁🎃🍁✨

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are indeed the most prolific artist I know and always such fun. I read all of your ghost stories and have to admit only a few of them were familiar to me. Your art is always a hoot ... and you certainly have captured the spirit of Halloween. I can't imagine what you will do when Halloween actually gets here :) Worcestershire sauce has it's place (my father used to eat it on eggs), but I have never quite found it, though I seem to recall using it in a recipe or two. However, on Pizza ... I think I draw the line :). So much fun, Rain. I have missed your uplifting posts the past few months. When I get myself settled and organized, I will take the time to go back and take in all that I missed. Perhaps a pipe dream (settled and organized, that is) but one to look forward to. Have a wonderful week ... and have you ever had carrot juice? I think you would have to be a rabbit to like it, but I could be wrong :)

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
  18. So much great artwork that it's hard to choose a favorite, but I like the Snow Ghost.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Sandi :) Horrifying is right lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Debra :) I'm glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Lorraine :) That's a neat idea about the book! :) Yeah...Bugs may need to "sweeten" up that carrot juice lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Lissa :) Glad you enjoyed Bugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Joyce! :) It's our time of year! I think after Christmas, we'll both have time to breathe a little lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks Stefanie :) Oh, lol...those drinks were watered down A LOT!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Mary :) Oh the Wooshtershire sauce...is that how to pronounce it properly? ;) Ha ha ha...when I sleep I dream and have nightmares, so it feeds my awake time and my art! :) Speaking of cheese, just today I started some Camemberts!!! I'll be posting about it this week on the cheese making blog! :) Thanks for asking Mary! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Dino :) I started with stick figures too lol! :) Oh that's cool about the kids trick or treating on horseback! I just mentioned to Mary that I started some Camemberts today, will post about it soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Serena :) Lol...every time I see that Worcestershire Sauce bottle I think of new ways food can come alive ha ha! You're SO RIGHT about the Dryads...they need to seek more revenge in my opinion...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Baili :) Yes! food coming alive...can you just imagine??? :) Thanks, so nice to hear from you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Sam! :) LOL...I may have some trouble using the WS but honestly, I'm a little intrigued to see if something REALLY happens lol! I have to plan the food too! Last year I made Frankenstein burritos (BOO-ritos!!), they were yummy...I may do them again this year, but I want to spend a day browsing Pinterest for more ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. LOL Laurie, you may be right, I do LOVE Halloween! :) How did you know? :p

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Wisps of Words :) In 2017 we bought a bunch of sweet cherries when they were on sale. Alex pitted them all and we mixed them with a bunch of ingredients and boiled them for about 5-10 minutes, we actually have about 20 jars with different flavours. We had a bottle of Absinthe and that went into one of the jars...oh they are luscious!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Andrea :)) I had a lot of fun looking up ghost stories and lore! I just look Halloween and SPOOKERY!! ha ha! Oh gosh, used to put Worcestershire on my eggs too, only because my grandfather did! :) I used to make my own carrot juice until my juice conked out...but it's SO SWEET...I had to cut it down with spinach. Two words: Orange fingers. lol...it really stains!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have no Halloween plans, but our youngest daughter is planning a party with her friends.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Kristina :) I hope your daughter has some fun!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great artwork, Rain! I found myself thinking that I might be a little scared to draw the variety of spooky subjects you have tackled. Guess there is a little superstition to me after all. I got a kick out of the Woster sauce drawing ~ Made me wonder just what its ingredients are. I've only been using it for 60 years or so ~ LOL! It has no weird chemicals, and it must take its dark color from the molasses in it. Good old L&P ~ I guess I'll be using it the rest of my life. All the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh my gosh, Rain, I LOVE all your artwork. Wonderfully spooky and fun. No plans on our end for Halloween. Well, that's not really true. There is a metaphysical store near our house that will be having a grand opening celebration with food and lots of fun activities on that day. We are planning to go and might even dress up since everyone is encouraged to do so. Should be a good time. Other than that, not much else.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Your artwork is amazing girl! You've been busy!! I love Snow Ghost! You did the snow so well! I have to read my Worcestershire bottle now! LOL! Were the cherries strong? Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hmmm...i remember the cherries u send me ... yummm

    ReplyDelete
  39. Rain,

    The sketch of Bugs having carrot juice is furtastic. What imagination! I love you take on the weekly prompt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Looks like Bugs needs to step away from that bottle!
    Just checked... my Worcestershire sauce is safe to use. Well, at least there are no "warnings" on it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  41. I'm sorry, Rain, to have missed this....seems like I missed everyone's during Bottle week as I think I was confused with having commented on several over on IG! So, as it is, I think I've seen each of the art pieces. Like Mary said, how do you sleep? Well, you did not disappoint on Halloween either. Up to form as I expected. Your collection over this month has been truly astounding. And, heh, I love your Worcestershire bottle. Spicy!

    ReplyDelete

❤ Thanks for your comment, I love hearing from everyone! ❤ Why not join me and my fellow artists every Thursday for TADD? That's Thursday Art and Dinner Date! It's a lot of fun!
Love,
Rain