Thursday, April 30, 2020

Thursday Art Date: Signs of Spring


Hi Everyone! 😊😊😊😊

(This is a scheduled post.)

Welcome to Thursday's Art Date, today our theme is Signs of Spring.

💓 THANK YOU SO MUCH for all of your lovely comments!!! It warms my heart to read them, thanks again for taking time to visit my blog! And a special thanks to those who continue to participate in the art date! I love it! I will catch up on visiting your posts soon!! I probably won't be around very much in the next month or so though. We are moving in about a week to New Brunswick and once there, we have no idea if the internet will be available or not!! But...I've pre-scheduled Art Date posts all the way until the end of June just in case!!! 💓

Why is Bugs Bunny dancing the ballet? Well, he could be very relieved for the spring weather! But honestly, he happily agreed to pose for my drawing of the ballet The Rite of Spring - which is danced to a piece of classical music written by Russian composer Igor Stravinsky. 


If you're like me, you may not know too much about classical music. I know this piece of music because it was featured in the 1940 Disney animated film Fantasia. (Here is the link in case the video doesn't work) I ADORE this movie, but I always found this particular animated interpretation of Stravinsky's work very disturbing...and for good reason! It's very intense music set to the theory of evolution. Above is the 20 minute adaptation from the movie. 

Photo from the English National Ballet

The history behind this orchestral piece is quite sinister! According to classicfm.com: 

"Stravinsky’s ballet score is an epochal landmark in music. Its English title, The Rite Of Spring, lends a suitably chilling dimension, for the scenario is a pagan ritual in which a sacrificial virgin dances herself to death. The work was such a violent wrench from every musical tradition that had gone before that, to many people, it seemed like the work of a madman." 

I only found out about this recently as I did a little research! Leave it to me to find the work of a madman!! 😊


I got a lot of canning done last week. Thanks again for all of your suggestions! Please visit Jo's blog "The Cockeyed Homestead", she is a wonderful inspiration for all things self-sufficient and she sent me so many recipes and videos to help me prepare for my 2-week quarantine without refrigeration. Thanks Jo!! 💓💓💓💓💓💓💓

Moving day is fast approaching! Even though I'm 99% sure we won't have any issues crossing the New Brunswick border, there is that 1% of doubt terrifying me that the RCMP will turn us back, saying our move isn't essential travel! Wish me and Alex and the furries good luck and if you can, send some prayers and positive energy our way!  💓💓

And please check out the link widget below to see more Signs of Spring artwork! 

********************

I took this photo back in 2010 during a walk through Mount Orford in Eastern Quebec. The water lily is my birth flower. 

May 7th: Next Thursday's theme is Your Flower. Click on the link for ideas and inspiration! Remember it's all about creating. You can showcase your paintings, drawings, photography, sculpting, baking, poetry...whatever you like! 🎨

Thursday Art Date With Rain. Click on the link for a description of the art date as well as a list of upcoming themes. 

Don't forget to add the URL link to your post (not your blog) to the link gadget below to share your wonderful creations! The link gadget expires Sunday at noon (EST).

********************

32 comments:

  1. Love your dancing Bugs Bunny, such fun. I'm very impressed with the canning you got down, that should tide you through the quarantine! Good luck with your move. I love Stravinsky, so thanks for the music, too! Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never heard that opera before, nor have I seen the film. I thought it was rather surreal. I was quite surprised by the evolution factor.

    You made a LOT of tomato based goodies for use when you have no refrigerator. I would say you are totally prepared and you definitely won't go hungry.

    Good luck with your move. I know you are excited. Be sure to stay safe, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sending heaps and heaps (and heaps) of positive wishes your way.
    I hope it all goes smoothly for you - and I am super impressed at all the canning you have done.
    Stay safe, stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello rain
    the dancing bunny looks good on your drawing and fits your videos!
    I just hope that everything goes well and I firmly believe that you are well prepared whether with food or everything else.
    I keep my fingers crossed for you!
    I am also happy when you are there and you report how it was
    Dear hug and all sgute stays healthy and takes good care of all of you, Elke

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with your move - you have organised your food so well. I can't imagine you could be turned back - you would have nowhere to go! that seems essential travel to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Umarım sorunsuz taşınırsınız. Bende yazın dondurucuya erzak yapıyorum. İyi oluyor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol, I think your Bugs Bunny would do well as a ballerina. :)

    Thanks for running TAD even in your busy moving times, even more complicated in C-times.
    Good luck and take care. See you later.

    re: warping paper, There are many advises how to stretch them but so far none of them works. So, when the painting had dried I wet it slightly on the back and put a board on it to flatten it. Almost flat when it dried :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very exciting times for you! Finally, after all these years of hoping, dreaming, and planning, you're going to a place of your own! When you've got internet, please post lots of pictures along with your ideas. This is such a good time of year to be starting on your new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will definitely say a prayer for your move! I'm so excited for you! When is mo vi ng day? Also, is that the reason for 2 weeks without refrigeration? Stay safe and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE all the JARS! What fun and so good to go into this prepared. Go you, Rain. You're an inspiration for SURE!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely ballet piece, disturbing reading about fantasia. Best of luck with your move looking forward to updates.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can understand your 1% worry! What a time.
    I ought to sit and draw, although my blood pressure is up and I'm trying not to worry about it all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Rain. This is a beautiful post. Actually I think this ballet is brilliant. It seems that we both love the madman, but madmen or women create with a sense that most of us don't have. I know you move will go smoothly. You have done a lot of prep work. I am going to check out Jo's blog. Well of course Bugs posed for you. LOL I know you are a very hard worker but don't over due it. Just one thing at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, PS. I just read next weeks prompt. I should have saved today's post for next week. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my, you are so organized ... why doesn't that surprise me :) Looking at all that you have accomplished, I don't know how you have time for everything. I seem to run out of time and I am not doing anything. What does that say about me? So I never imagined how Bugs Bunny would look as a ballerina ... I must say that I do believe you have captured it perfectly. I really have to laugh at the expression on his (her) face.
    My mother used to can and I would help as much as kids can help with such a job. We had our own garden and she canned everything, much the same as you. Somehow, I never carried those skills with me and now I wish I had. You are so talented in so many ways. I am glad your friend Jo was able to give you a helping hand and I keep my fingers crossed that you are able to pass over the border without incident. Keep us posted when you can and Good Luck to you, your significant other and your fur babies. In time you will be all settled in and able to enjoy life as it should be. Be safe in your travels ...

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow...look at all of the food!!! you have been a busy girl! you two will eat better without facilities than most people normally eat! i am so excited for you! i hope the move goes smoothly without any blips!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good luck with the move and the quarantine that will follow it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW ~ I'm so glad you found someone to help you to know what to make! you're ready to go now! ~ Praying for safe travels for you ~

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very interesting post. Your blog has very cool content <3
    I am following you and invite you to me
    https://milentry-blog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's good to have a spring celebration. Bugs was a good choice for ballet. hoping your move is a smoooooth one.

    Cheers
    ~Moondustwriter

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wishing you the best and easier time of crossing the border with no problems!! love your dancing bugs bunny - great job on that and where in the heck or what is your secret to your energy level - canning all that food -wow.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am exceedingly impressed that you have managed to can in the midst of packing and moving. They do all look beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Extraordinary canning supply you now have. It must feel so good to get that done and feel more prepared for your upcoming move.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wishing you all the luck in the world, Rain! I'm sure everything will go just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yayyyyy...moving day is sooooo close !!! It's crazy !!! Best of luck sis ❤

    ReplyDelete
  26. I do like your dancing Bugs Bunny.
    Wow! That is a lot of canning.
    Wishing you lots of good luck, and sending positive thoughts for your move.

    Take care.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi, Rain! I've been thinking of you so much, even if I haven't been able to visit. I'm sure that you get through the New Brunswick border okay! I've got my fingers crossed 🤞for you and am sending you lots of luck 🍀! I love your art, as always. And I'm totally impressed with your canning! I used to show my kiddos Fantasia at school. I've always loved Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring," but I haven't heard it in a while, so thank you! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Rain, I had thought I commented before after reading this post, but may have not. I hope that everything continues to go along well with the upcoming move as you must be so excited by now. Sure, the packing up and then the preserving must be a lot of hard work but the end result of being in your new home together with Alex and all the pets should be well worth all that came before it. Good luck !

    ReplyDelete
  29. oh this is so cute and so related to spring dear Rain ,spring actually does same to every heart i believe ,lovely painting
    dreadful history about orchestra ,this is grace of lord that we humans have passed away that ignorant era

    oh this is lots of canning indeed ,you are in my thoughts and prayers my friend
    i am sure they will not stop you ,lord will make their heart kind to understand your problem,amen!
    take good care stay well!

    ReplyDelete

❤ Thanks for your comment, I love hearing from everyone! ❤ Why not join me and my fellow artists every Thursday for TADD? That's Thursday Art and Dinner Date! It's a lot of fun!
Love,
Rain