Thursday, July 16, 2020

Thursday Art Date: Two Colours


Hello Friends! ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

Welcome to Thursday's Art Date, today our theme is Two Colours. For my cartoon piece, I decided on green and black for Daffy Duck and Bugs Bunny. Bugs liked my creativity but Daffy was a little annoyed because I made him pose too long to get the right shades of green! Though...he could have been green with envy that Bugs was at the forefront of the piece, sorry Daffy! ๐Ÿ˜Š


I followed a graphite pencil tutorial for this falcon. It was fun to do, the tutorial was 3 hours. Having an art day was definitely something I needed after the weeks of stress I've endured lately. Sitting in my studio, creating art and seeing the woods out my window...I'm definitely feeling life's gratitude! ๐Ÿ˜Š


This is how it looked after I shaded in the background and before I started the detail work. I don't use graphite pencils very often but I enjoyed drawing this piece. I used a gray-toned textured sketch paper.


To qualify for my two colour theme, I used two different shades of graphite, 2B and 4B. 

The lower the number, the darker and softer the shade of black. 


"Hidden Pond in the Woods"

For my watercolour, I used Cobalt Turquoise and Pthalo Blue - two lovely colours that really compliment each other. I'm a sucker for blue watercolours!!


Speaking of blue, Alex pulled off our $100 blue well cap (I still can't get over how expensive all this was!!) and poured 6 gallons of bleach down the well. This is called "shocking" the well. It gets rid of bacteria and makes the water potable. This was advice we were given by both Mike (the well driller) and Dave (the pump guy)...Jo, you also sent me an email to advise me on bleaching the well, thank you so much. 

After letting the bleach do its thing for a day, we flushed the well out last night (basically let the water run in all faucets until we could no longer smell bleach). It may take up to a week before we can really stop smelling the bleach and try tasting the water. During that time we'll be sending a water sample back to the lab for testing. Many people say you don't need to shock your well, your body will build up an immunity against any bacteria hanging about. We will be shocking the well yearly and getting potability tests just to be safe, we prefer to err on the side of caution.


More blue and white: I wanted to share a frugal tip. When you get to the "end" of your toothpaste, it ain't the end!!! Cut it open! The amount of toothpaste at the base of your tube will give you a week's worth of brushing. We do the same thing for shampoo containers and body lotion. 

That's all for now folks! Please check out the link widget below for more Two Colours artwork!

********************


Old Man of the Sea - I took this photo off the coast of Prince Edward Island back in 2010 - Do you see his face?


July 23rd: Next Thursday's theme is A Face On An Object. Click on the link for ideas and inspiration! Remember it's all about creating. You can showcase your paintings, drawings, photography, sculpting, baking, poetry...whatever you like! ๐ŸŽจ

Thursday Art Date With Rain. Click on the link for a description of the art date as well as a list of upcoming themes. 

Don't forget to add the URL link to your post (not your blog) to the link gadget below to share your wonderful creations! The link gadget expires Sunday at noon (EST).

********************

25 comments:

  1. I love that Prince Edward Island rock! Many happy memories of that island! I'll be very happy for you when you are ready to use / drink your own water! Wells are initially a huge expense, but so worth it when you have lots of good water to use. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your two colour work - and am blown away by the graphite sketch.
    My mingy self gets all she can from toothpaste, shampoo, moisturisers etc. They are not cheap and I refuse to throw my money away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, these are seriously beautiful paintings and sketches this week, Rain. You make lovely art.

    Shocking the well. Glad you are willing to err on the side of caution. It makes it easier to be safe than sorry.

    I roll my toothpaste until it wont go any further, then I also cut the end. It's a great tip.

    That Old Man of the Sea photo is awesome. It didn't take any time at all to see the face. It's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful art selection. Glad you are getting on with your well, being on the safe side is always good! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello rain,
    Bugs and Daffy in green great drawn the two brawlers today.
    Beautiful to draw this eagle in front of you in this satisfaction of nature! The last time was very exciting and stressful again and again.
    I think it's beautiful the picture with watercolor, you can't do everything perfectly either.
    I would also play it safe with the drinking water.
    Yes, I can see the face in the rock, insane!
    Good tip at the end thank you!
    have a good week and good luck with everything you have left, hug Elke

    ReplyDelete
  6. The watercolor is so subtle I had to look until it came into focus and I could see the pond. Lovely. I'm glad you took the time for art.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad that you were able to spend some time doing wonderful art. I like the blue "Hidden Pond" piece very much.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think Bugs and Duffy have to excuse me today as I preferred the other art pieces you created. Love your falcon and the mysterious forest pond.
    I tried to draw a bit lately but my hands don´t seem to like it :( But I might try the Pond in the woods.

    Re the "frugal tip, you can do the same with whatever you have in your refrigerator. Mustard, mayonnaise, cheese. Everything that´s in a tube. Usually I cut the tube and slide the empty side on the tube as cover when there are still food in it.
    Take care. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. can you use the water for everything else except drinking? i'm glad you are getting back to your art. you don't need any more distractions for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband's grandparents had a well and their water tasted so good to me. It was very fresh tasting. Our city water is normally good to drink here,but not nearly as nice and fresh as their well water. I am sure the not as fresh taste of our water is due to the chemicals that they put in it.

    They had their water tested by their county, I believe. They lived out in the country. I don't know how often it was tested, but they were careful to have it tested as often as recommended.

    I know you are going to enjoy your cold clear water once the bleach gets out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful two toned pieces today Rain, my fave is Daffy and Bugs. Glad you are progressing with the well water.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your falcon is beautiful! ~ I'm so glad you were able to enjoy an art day :)
    Shocking sounds like the right thing to do, better to be safe ~ Blessings on your day

    ReplyDelete
  13. I forgot to add my comment about joining in your art date. So glad you have good water now. Good tip about the tubes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Thursday. Stay Safe

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your artwork is simply beautiful! So happy for all that you two have accomplished; the new well, and so much hard work. Your swinging of that axe is amazing. :) We did the bleach thing to our well several years ago too, when we had to have a new pump installed. Enjoyed your posts so much!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love those shades of green. And I am impressed with your pencil drawing, too. Lovely work! As for the bleach, I am so glad I don't have use it for my water, which is drawn from aquifers below lava rock.

    ReplyDelete
  17. enjoyed the whole post. My son has a well on their property in Washington and I never knew about the bleach thing. I suppose he knows. love your art always.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like your watercolour, Rain. I am so glad for you that you have now time to relax and do some artwork and that you are in possession of a working well. I think you are very wise to bleach the water to ensure safety, you cant afford to be ill when you have so much to do making your home. I hope you will have some news on the concrete slab and that it is moved without any issues. Betty x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rain,

    Great art work! The falcon is especially nice. :) I'm glad you had some down time with your art. DH's parents had a couple of different filtering systems on their wells. I know one was a softener and the other I don't know. They even had water filter at the sink for drinking water. You might want to ask your drill guys about installing one in your kitchen. It definitely won't hurt anything but they'll know how to advise on this best. Enjoy all that water. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So glad you got your well up and running! Whew! Thanks for the frugal tip too! BTW...I cannot edit my old blog so I had to start a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful 2 color art Rain. Yes, shocking the well is necessary. I cut open all products that come in a tube or plastic squeese container. Especially with my ole of olay. There is so much left inside. BTW your falcon turned out excellently.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Daffy is green with envy, but his turn will come and he does look handsome in that dark green ... Bugs, of course is always a handsome fella in any color, though I know he would prefer his normal gray.
    So your falcon is a beautiful bird. I have flown falcons and they are smart, cantankerous characters. We used to put tracking devices on them in case they took off while we were flying them ... as they often did and we would track them for miles before they settled in somewhere where we could lure them back on the glove. It is a wonderful experience.
    Blues and greens are my favorite colors so you did well this week from my point of view. I didn't see the pond at first until I read the title, then it all became obvious and gorgeous :)
    As for shocking your well, it is a must if you want avoid possible issues. I had neighbors who never shocked their wells and nothing ever seemed to happen, but that doesn't mean it couldn't and if it would, it could be very unpleasant. Better safe than sorry, I say :)
    You are my husband's kind of person ... never waste anything. His mother was the same way. I tend to be more lackadaisical about those details, but I have him to keep me in line. I will say we have never thought to cut off the tops of our tubes and it is a great idea ... will let you know how it turns out for us :) So next week we have faces in something and I have, over the years, had many of those kind of pictures ... But! since I transferred everything to my new computer, I am having trouble finding things so it might be quite an adventure for me to come up with them, but you know I will try. I hope your weeks are getting less hectic as time passes. Stay safe, my friend and take time to enjoy your new surroundings ... you are blessed.

    Andrea From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
  23. So nice to see your new art work, Rain, and Bugs and Daffy did look a bit miffed at one another. Ouch on that $100 cost for a well cap and all the years we lived in VA, we never put any bleach in the well and it seemed to be working fine, but then we usually filtered the water or used bottled. yes on getting every last bit of stuff from tubes or bottles and I always turn detergent and laundry bottles upside down to drain.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely art work.

    Old Man of the Sea!
    Yes, I can see his face.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  25. The drawing of Daffy and Bugs is awesome! With water it's aways wise to be safe. I cut off toothpaste tubes and other containers too. Here's to saving money, my friend!

    ReplyDelete

❤ Thanks for your comment, I love hearing from everyone! ❤ Why not join me and my fellow artists every Thursday for TADD? That's Thursday Art and Dinner Date! It's a lot of fun!
Love,
Rain