Saturday, March 6, 2021

Marlene


Hi Everyone,

Hope you're all doing well. I'm writing a post today about Marlene. She's our husky mix who we rescued from a bad situation back in October of 2015. We don't know how old she is, a rough estimate is 14 or 15.

I always like to share when our animals are sick, and what we do to remedy them. I think that it helps others out there who might be dealing with the same thing. I've learned a lot from reading other people's pet stories!

Last Wednesday, she suddenly couldn't walk. She kept falling over. Lately she'd become incontinent and started to lose her appetite. Now she was refusing to eat anything and wouldn't even drink her water.

We brought her to the vet on Thursday. They ran some blood tests and discovered she has kidney disease and liver damage. They also diagnosed her with Vestibular Disease - a canine/feline version of vertigo. She was prescribed anti-nausea pills and we decided that getting her eating again would be the first hurdle. They had to give her fluids to rehydrate her and we got some kidney-formula wet food to help support her kidneys a little better. The liver damage is likely caused by the fact that the kidneys aren't working properly and excreting toxins. The liver is having a hard time processing those toxins - especially since Marlene is refusing to eat.

She was also diagnosed with degenerative myelopathy (a disease affecting the spinal cord, resulting in weakness/paralysis of the hind legs); and dementia - but we already knew this by her behaviour because my late pug Winston also suffered from that - and I saw the same symptoms in Marlene.

Vestibular Disease is characterized by eye darting, head tilting, falling over to the side where she tilts her head, wobbliness, dizziness, nausea and incontinence. The symptoms are frighteningly similar to those of a stroke. In the video above you can see her eyes darting. The poor girl was living in a spinning world for 4 days. I had vertigo in my teenage years and it was unbearable. Vestibular Disease can be caused by several things: brain damage or brain disease, inner ear infection, head trauma, toxins or just old age. There is no prescription to cure it unless there is an infection which would be treated with antibiotics. It is supposed to go away after 24-48 hours. If it doesn't go away in that time frame, the diagnosis is not good because it has to do with brain disease. Marlene has no infections.

It's been a 24/7 duty to take care of her, which is hard, but I love her so much so of course I will take care of her the best I can. Her dementia seemed to be getting worse too, as she didn't appear to recognize us or the other pets. She seemed lost. 😟 We were losing hope when it became the fourth day where she didn't eat anything. I called the vet and they suggested blending the food with water and "force feeding" her. I had a large syringe in my medicine cabinet so as Alex was holding her mouth open, I was feeding her. Just like a baby, she wore a bib and tried to spit it all out, but finally she was eating.

This morning, her eyes stopped darting and she's able to walk on her own, but she still tilts her head and wobbles, so we need to walk on the left side of her. She is showing some signs of knowing us again, she came over to me to lie down next to me by my desk.


The biggest challenge at this point is to get her eating on her own. We tried everything imaginable...beef, liver, chicken, pork...potatoes, cheese, carrots, toast, rice, cat food, baby food, McDonalds French fries and even Capt' Crunch cereal! We even tried to give her lollypops, that used to be her favourite treat! She turns her nose at everything. But she is drinking water on her own - a good sign!

If by Monday she is refusing to eat on her own, Alex and I will have some big decisions to make. Would you please keep her in your thoughts my friends? I won't be participating in my usual blog hops/blog parties until things settle a little around here. I hope you all understand! I will still host the Thursday Art Date, but may not be posting too much there, though I think that I need to continue to do some art because it will bring me some joy and get my mind off my troubles!

39 comments:

  1. ...sad news, good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Rain,

    I am so sorry to hear about Marlene's illness. I am sending hugs, healing wishes and prayers for you and Marlene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart goes out to you and your fur baby ~ you are doing all the right things. Hugs if I may to you and your family; chin or ear scritches to Marlene.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Rain, I am so saddened to read about Marlene, you are doing the best you can for her, keep telling yourselves that.. sadly age has an affect on every living thing. I recognise what you say about those signs from Marlene mine and hubbies first dog Jade had kidney disease causing incontinence. Cattarahs and also dementia for two years we could not move any furniture for fear of her bumping into things. When her appetite was low we would hand feed her, she'd have as much as she wanted.
    We had nearly 18 glorious years together before her time came. Rescued as a pup she was our friend till the end and one never to be forgotten as she welcomed our three children into the world one by one like they were her very own.
    Stay strong and spend every precious moment with her because even if you think she does not recognise you, she does and needs you right by her side.
    Thinking of you all Hugs Tracey xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about your Marlene, this is a hard time for you! All the best for you all. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. i don't even know what to say except...old age sucks. i really hope things pick up for marlene. she certainly knows what you are doing for her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry. It is hard to know when to let go, isn't it? We want to keep them because of our deep and abiding love for them but they sometimes get to the point where the love we have can't save them. Savor every single second with her while you can. You have been wonderful rescue parents to her and what a happy, good life she has had. God bless you as you make the hard decisions ahead of you. Love to you and prayers- Diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heartfelt hugs and oceans of caring to you all.
    It is soooo hard. Our Jazz has some medical issues at the moment too. His thyroid is over active. He eats everything he can find and asks for more. He has developed a heart murmur and his kidneys and his liver are under siege. Early days here but we are worried. Just as you are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor old Marlene! I'm glad she has such dedicated nurses in you and Alex. Sending best wishes to her and you that there will be an improvement in her condition.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everyone has said what I was thinking. You guys are such a great fur parents. Give her all the love you can for whatever time she has left. Savor it. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll pray ...in a way that I believe is the most helpful....To see the truth about her , that she is strong, healthy, acting young and enjoying romping around. That no disease can remain in a creature God created when the "truth" is what we ask to see.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry Rain. I sure hope she will continue to improve. It's so heartbreaking when our sweet babies start to fail. You will be in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Rain I just want to send my heartfelt blessings to your beautiful Marlene for healing and peace and to let you know I will pray for her and think about her a lot. She is in the best place and no matter how ill or confused she may become, I am sure she will know how much she is loved and sense the caring going on around her. It is so sad and hard to make decisions about our pets. I had to make decisions about Amber Cat and still go over it and over it at night. I hope you will feel confident and strong in whatever you decide is best for Marlene and of course am praying for her recovery. Take care, Betty x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lucky she is receiving such wonderful Care at your hands.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This decision is so difficult in the heart, dear Rain, for you
    Poor Marlene, I think of you!
    HUg Elke

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so sorry to read about Marlene's illness.
    Saying a prayer and sending healing wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rain, my dear friend. As you know I am a retired Vet Tech and know of all of these symptoms. Yes, you and Alex have a big decision to make. I know you two are giving her the very best care and that she knows that. I am sending prayers that the goddess shows you the way. Big hugs to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So very sorry about Marlene, you are in our thoughts. This is such a painful stressful time for you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm saddened by the news of Marlene. I certainly hope things improve for her and she starts eating on her own. Bless you for taking her in and giving her a much better life for the past six years. I will keep you and her in my thoughts, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's scary when you see the eyes darting like that. Lucy has it too. When it first happened it scared the crap out of David and me. I looked up the symptoms and became a little alarmed. She has only had three episodes so far and it has happened at about two to three weeks intervals. We are watching her closely. If the episodes continue and become closer together then we will take her to the vet. But so far so good for her. I dread the day that she become worse than your beloved Marlene. But for the time being, I will hold both old girls in my prayers that they don't suffer.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so sorry to have to read about Marlene's disease.
    I certainly hope things improve for her and that she is going to eat alone.
    I wish you a lot of strength.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thinking of you Rain, and hoping for the best. It is so hard. I've been there. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm sorry to read about your sweet Marlene. I hope she will heal from her problems with all of the love and special care you and your husband are giving her. I will be thinking of Marlene often and hoping for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sad news, Rain. Know that we are all thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. i will definitely be keeping Marlene in good thoughts and hope you have an easy decision to make tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You poor thing. End-of-life is such a difficult things. At least you have options. Hubby, with cancer, is really glad we have MAiD, here in Canada. We've spoken of this many times. It's about quality of life.
    Take care of yourself. I'll be thinking of you. I know you'll do what is best for your rescue pup. She's blessed having you around to advocate for her.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Of course she is in my heart and prayers. What a sweet, beautiful girl. I'm glad the food seemed to help and if you have to keep at the syringe, I say do it. And water is a good sign.

    I know how hard this is. I think many of us have walked in your shoes at one time or another. And letting go is the hardest decision we can make. My vet told me to let go was the best gift we could give our Gypsy or any animal if it is in pain or misery, but it is also the hardest. I hope you don't have to make that decision right away but know that you and Marlene will be in my heart no matter what. Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, that poor sweet baby. She is so, so lucky to have you all for humans. I know whatever you decide will be for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am so sorry that Marlene is suffering. Being a sometimes vertigo sufferer and seeing her eyes, I just wanted to cry imagining what she is experiencing and having no way to understand it. She is very fortunate to have such loving people to care for her.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Rain, I am so very sorry!! So sorry! Marlene knows you love her!! I hate what she is going through! I will continue sending healing prayers! Give her a hug from me! Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  31. this was highly sensitive sharing dear Rain

    i don't have appropriate words to share my sadness with you as i know well how important she is for you ,you are doing your best to keep her healthy and alive my friend and that is all we can do for ourselves and for those who we love so much so do it and leave rest upon the God ,she will be in my thoughts and prayers for sure!
    hugs and blessings to you and all you love!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sending love and prayers and best outcome for her and your family

    ReplyDelete
  33. I know how you are feeling, Rain, as our 16 year old cat, who we love so much, is going thru almost the exact same thing. A few expensive visits to to vet told us to love her and enjoy her for whatever time she has left, but not let it gets past the point of her being in constant pain. It is so hard to lose these wonderful creatures who give us such joy and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Very sad news Rain. She's had a a good life with you and Alex. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am so sorry to hear this and I know you will make the right decision when the time comes. Animals are very stoic and won't indicate they are in pain unless they are truly suffering. I know it is hard to say goodbye but we all have to at some point. My heart goes out to you and Alex and Marlene and her companions.

    ReplyDelete
  36. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. Bless sweet Marlene - you have given her a wonderful life full of so much love.
    Be strong.
    Mary X

    ReplyDelete
  37. Rain, pets are surely family members as any current or former pet owner knows, ourselves included and when they hurt, so does their owner. Rain, you and Marlene will be in our thoughts as you are dealing with this sadness and perhaps inevitable decision. It’s never an easy one, and letting go is such a hard thing to do when there is still so much love. Rest assured that Marlene knows too that your decision will be made with her best interest in mind and to end her discomfort. Take as much time as you need, Rain, your fellow bloggers understand and will always be here for you and Alex.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Poor Marlene. My heart aches for her.

    ReplyDelete

❤ Thanks for your comment, I love hearing from everyone! ❤ Why not join me and my fellow artists every Thursday for TADD? That's Thursday Art and Dinner Date! It's a lot of fun!
Love,
Rain