Thursday, October 13, 2022

πŸŽ¨πŸ˜‹ Thursday Art and Dinner Date: Lost and Thanksgiving Dinner!!!


Welcome my Friends, to Thursday's Art and Dinner Date! 😊😊

🎨For our 🎨 Art Date 🎨, today's optional prompt is Lost. Please feel free to share any art you've created, we would love to see it! Instead of a Looney Tune this week, I drew a Disney character! When Snow White is cast out of her wicked stepmother's castle, she gets lost in the woods! That insecure queen turns herself into the witch to try to tempt Snow White into eating the poison apple! Here's a question....what's YOUR poison apple? What tempts you? 😈



⬆️ House Drama...we were investigating a leak in the basement...one of our neighbours is a contractor so he sent a few of his guys over to help us out. He decided to take a look-see under our vinyl siding on one corner of the house...



⬆️ It turns out that the beams and floor sill on that corner are completely rotted from water damage. See that grosse pink insulation? That should be UNSEEN, behind the exterior wall! I went right up there to look, and I could see my kitchen wall - exposed to the outside of the house!!! When the original owners had the power put in, the meter was never water-sealed or caulked so there was a slow leak over the last 20 years that basically rotted all of the wood around and under it.


⬆️ This is one of the beams in a dusty pile by the house. Pete simply put his hand under the vinyl siding and it just fell apart like dust in the wind (😑breathe Rain). Luckily they are making time this week to fix it for us - but it's going to take jacking up the house; and replacing the floor sill, the beams and pretty much the entire exterior wall from roof to floor. I think I want to just hide out for the winter and hope that there will be no more surprises when I come out of hibernation!

Good thing there was comfort food on the menu this week:


πŸ˜‹For our πŸ˜‹ Dinner Date πŸ˜‹, I'm sharing my Thanksgiving dinner with you! Canadian Thanksgiving was this past Monday and I made my traditional Thanksgiving Poutine! ⬆️⬆️

For those who don't know, a poutine is a dish made with French fries, cheese and topped with hot gravy - well mine is made with delicious Thanksgiving toppings! 

For those who celebrated, did you have a nice Thanksgiving? What did you eat?



⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️ The toppings were my Bread Stuffing, Cauliflower Gratin, Mashed Potatoes and Cranberry Sauce.


⬆️ I then topped the Poutine with curd cheese and Cheddar cheese...and poured hot Chicken Gravy on top! We were eating this for days! I'm going to link up the how-to videos below that I uploaded onto my YouTube channel!

On the video front:

⬆️ For Rain Frances Art, I recorded How To Paint A Scene From Gretel And Hansel! This is one of my new favourite movies!


⬆️ For Rain's Kitchen and Garden, I'm sharing a few gardening videos, first up: Last Garden Harvest! Fingerling Potatoes from the Tater Tires!

⬆️ I also kind of decided that I'm scaling down the garden BIG TIME next year, here's where I talk about that: Facing The Facts About My Garden! - Lessons Learned! Harsh Realities Every Gardener Faces!

⬆️ I'm embedding the video for my Thanksgiving Poutine and below for the toppings videos, for those interested!

⬆️ Here is the video for: Cauliflower Gratin

⬆️ Here is the video for: Bread Stuffing

⬆️ Here is the video for: Mashed Potatoes

⬆️ Here is the video for: Cranberry Sauce

⬆️ Here is the video for: Chicken Gravy

⬆️ The Coyotes are close again. They always get really close to home around this time of year. I was out in the backyard as they began howling! They were just down the road by the stream!


That's all for now folks! Please check out the link widget below for more 🎨 artistic πŸŽ¨ and πŸ˜‹ delicious πŸ˜‹ creations! See you soon!!! πŸ’— πŸ’— 

*****************************************


Upcoming Art Prompts For Rain's Thursday Art and Dinner Date: click on the links below for a description of the prompt and inspiring images! (Prompts are optional!)

October 20th: Haunted House
October 27th: Trick? Or Treat?

This art and dinner date date is all about creating. For the art date, you can showcase your paintings, drawings, photography, sculpting, poetry...whatever you like! You can follow the weekly themes or post any art you like! 🎨

And for the dinner date, please feel free to link up your foodie post! πŸ˜‹

Don't forget to add the URL link to your post (not your blog) to the link gadget below to share your wonderful creations! Please revisit to make sure you don't miss those who join in a little late! All spam and non-related links will be removed! The link gadget will be available until the following Sunday at midnight!

****************************************** 

26 comments:

  1. Oh boy. I’m sure you were not a happy camper when you found out about that leak. Ok- glass half full : your house will be better insulated and weather proofed when it’s done and you’ll save more on heating. Hang in there! - Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like apples, but mine is... Pizza, steak... Lasagna... hearty stuff.

    Yay for good neighbors. Yikes for water where it does not belong (here it ended a weekend-relationship - in a good way, "funnily" I posted it today, too)

    Cheese is always good, no Thanksgiving here in Germany. But we did cook up big, too :-)

    My Brother started calling me Schwesterchen, so I call him BrΓΌderchen, just like in HΓ€nsel and Gretel!
    And yes. I need to start with those watercolors, not just the pencils! I´ll take a closer look in my luch-break, thank you!!! (off to work in a sec)

    And... ohhh, Cauliflower gratin!
    Real Coyotes... wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your coyote howling video! Or better say, I love to hear coyotes howling. Sometimes I can hear them at night, but not very often. When we were camping in Yosemite one year we heard them every night and they sounded real close. It was fascinating. I would love to try your poutine. We had poutine once during one of our visits to BC because we were told that we had to try it. So we did. I'm not sure I'm a real fan, but yours sounds tempting.
    By the way, for my post today I tried for the first time to upload a video from youtube after I had watched your video about how to do it. I didn't dare to try the resizing, but apart from that it worked like a charm! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to hear that you are having problems with your house. Hopefully it will all be over soon. Until then, art and food are there for comfort. Love all the food you shared this week!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  5. HUGE sigh on the house damage. I do hope that is the last unpleasant surprise you receive.
    I knew what poutine was - but have never had it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have an Easter wich that loks pretty much like your evil one. But ours are quite nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good poutine is very tasty, but in deference to my arteries I seldom eat it. That kind of surprise is not what you want to find at Thanksgiving, Rain, or at any other time for that matter. Did you have an engineering inspection done on the house before you bought it? Surely these structural issues should have been discovered.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leaks are so annoying. Best Wishes with your renovations Rain
    Thanks for taking time out to be our TAD hostess

    much 🧑 love

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yikes about your house-at least it was spotted before winter arrived to stay-sounds costly too
    Your Thanksgiving dishes look delicious-enjoy your videos too Happy Thursday hugs from the lake Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a shame about the house! We had termites at one house due to leaking eaves and rotting walls.

    We haven't had Thanksgiving yet. I'm still winding down from the anti-gun club meeting and its prep. My grandie is back at school after COVID, but we need to wind down.

    (ツ) from Jenn Jilks , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd eat that Thanksgiving poutine! Terrible news about your wall but at least it will be fixed and then you'll be as snug as a bug in a rug, as they say.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry to hear of your house leak. Maybe there is a government program to help with this cost?

    Great 'Lost' art

    ReplyDelete
  13. ...I hope that you had a wonderful thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh no about the leak. What a mess Rain. That can't be fun to deal with, and it of course has to be dealt with. You are right, good thing you had lots of comfort food. I'm off to watch your videos. Other than the house it sounds like you had a nice Thanksgiving. Enjoy the rest of your week. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sorry about the house troubles. I watched your videos on your you tube channel for Thanksgiving dinner. I am going to try the cauliflower dish.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Unseen leaks are the worst - on the bright side I suppose, better now than when (literally) it is in your kitchen.

    A belated Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on your YouTube numbers!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hmmm - temptations: chocolate covered anything, but especially peanut M&Ms. Candy corn. Orange slices. Massive bowls of piping hot popcorn. Summer sausage. Biscuits and gravy. And now? your Thanksgiving Poutine!

    So sorry about the slow leak that made for all that damage - it's this sort of maintenance issue - one you can't see - that always worries me!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yikes, Rain! I'm so sorry that you have water damage to the foundation of your house. I listen to a lot of house remodeling shows when I'm working upstairs, and I've seen lots of houses have to go through the repairs yours must. Breath, yes! And one day at a time. You will get there. All your food looks delicious! I commented on one of your instagram posts that the Hansel and Gretel image is really scary. An, of course, the mummy is too cute. I like how you put the skeleton hand and eyeballs next to it on your YouTube link. btw, today I'm beginning to see improvement in my double vision, mostly when I look down! (It's progressively worse the higher I look up from horizontal.) I'm excited because I chop and dice a lot of vegetables and fruit, and recently it was downright dangerous ~ lol! Have fun visiting around!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful rendition of Snow White's wicked evil witch ~ great food videos too ~ Xo

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  21. So sorry to read that you are having problems with your house.
    Hopefully the repair/fix will be done very soon.

    Lovely art and great comfort food.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  22. AΕΌ zrobiΕ‚am siΔ™ gΕ‚odna :) Pozdrawiam:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful artwork,as always. Also love all the cooking you do.
    I am so sorry about the damage to your house/foundation. That is always hard when that sort of thing happens and it is always more costly than you think it will be. Have a blessed Sunday- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ohhh, your witch is daunting and cute at the same time :) So sorry about your house. Maybe you should have your builders check the rest of the house for potential problems ... it would seem your previous owners were not so conscientious. Always an issue when you buy a used home. Here we have inspections required before you put your name on the dotted line. All that said, I love your home and though it has been costly at times, I know you feel it is worth it.
    Happy Thanksgiving (belated), but where's the Turkey? I have it in my head that Thanksgiving isn't Thanksgiving without a Turkey :( Everything else looks yummy delicious especially the poutine. I may have to try that sometime.
    Lesson learned about gardening. My DIL planted sweetcorn this year and didn't get one ear or corn out of it. I believe it has to do with the scarcity of bees in our area ... and many areas as far as that goes. That is a subject for another time, but a scary one for sure. Doesn't the howling of the coyotes just send a shiver up your spine. I have been in places where they were very close and I couldn't get out of there fast enough even though I know (unlike wolves) they are very unlikely to attack a human ... they may go after your dogs though if hungry enough :( I may not be joining you next week as I have to do something about starting my Christmas card as time is flying by and I have nothing. I will try because I hate the idea of missing, just so you know :) Stay well, Rain ... as long as you have your health your are doing well even if the house has aches and pains :)

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yikes Rain, how disturbing it was to read that there is another problem with your home. As other bloggers have commented, it is unfortunate the previous owners were obviously not good at maintaining the house. While finding the rotting wood wasn't pleasant, better to have things re[paired sooner then later.

    All the Thanksgiving recipes looked so good. I always make homemade cranberry sauce, nothing better! I haven't eaten poutine, except once or twice. Your version looked deliciously decadent and also a bit healthy with the cauliflower.

    Our Thanksgiving is not celebrated until late November and this year we will not be dining at home, but in a grand old hotel in the White Mountains of NH. That said, we will most likely buy a small turkey to cook at home either before or after the holiday.

    ReplyDelete

❤ Thanks for your comment, I love hearing from everyone! ❤ Why not join me and my fellow artists every Thursday for TADD? That's Thursday Art and Dinner Date! It's a lot of fun!
Love,
Rain