Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Minor Injury


Thumbs Up! :) It's amazing how useful this little digit is...last week, I suffered a dog-related sprain to the tip of my thumb joint - imagine a bend that just shouldn't bend that way! Shudder! The Arnica gel is invaluable. Even though I'll be out of commission for 2-6 weeks, I'm learning how to make do without my left thumb - which surprisingly I USE A LOT!!! As my blogger friend Sam I Am says, onward and upwards! She's having some aches and pains too but her attitude is always so positive.


Last night I made my Chicken Saltimbocca with boiled potatoes. Everything is taking me a little longer with my gimpy thumb, but I'm giving myself a break. It's too easy to get frustrated! We discovered an amazing taste last night. The Saltimbocca calls for a white wine reduction to drizzle on top. We didn't reduce it completely but poured it over the taters...taste sensation! And this is the last of my first crop of Buttercrunch lettuce! My second pot is nearly ready to pick and the next sunny day I need to plant some more.


I got this in the mail yesterday. I have an ice cream maker that basically collects dust at the moment. Alex ordered it for me last week, comfort sweet food on the way! :) We love to buy used books online, we spend maybe up to $15 a month each surprising each other with a book. It's an inexpensive way to treat each other and most of the time, the books are like new.


On Sunday we found my cozy love seat for the porch! :) After assembling it we realized it was 2 inches too wide for the space, always an issue in this rental. I measured the width of the porch, but everything is built so crooked here that the end where I wanted to put this love seat is not the same measurement as anywhere else on the porch, grrr. Anyway, Alex is going to come up with a solution today to make it fit. We may have to take off one of the arms, but he has a good idea. I can't wait to lounge on it! :)


Our days are filled with enjoying our pets and our canine guest; taking care of the yard, cooking, eating, napping in the hammock and watching movies! With the occasional work time for Alex :) It's rainy but muggy. The black flies are nearly gone for the season (yay!) but the mosquitoes are out now. They're a bit easier to handle! I'll have a garden update by the weekend! :)

26 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing how much we rely on our thumbs!?! I cringed when I read how you injured it - OUCH! Glad to see you can still rustle up some amazing food... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i almost cut my left thumb off a few years ago. i was in a cast for month. it was so very interesting cooking with one hand. but, i had a built in potholder that came in handy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I know exactly how that would have felt - having done that a couple of years ago myself. Shudder indeed!!! Yeesh.

    Your dinner looks lovely! Its almost lunch time so that got my hunger on! :)

    Mmmmmmm ice cream - I really like any sort of ice cream or frozen yogurt. Can't wait to see pics of that!

    We toggle between really hot and really cold here these days. Such weird weather. Yesterday morning it was 5 degrees and chilly. We are expecting rain soon. No mosquitoes yet but its a matter of time with all the rain.

    Take care of your finger and hope to see the little seat on the porch all cozy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Arnica! Yes indeed "onward and upward because quitting isn't an option". Nice meal especially the home grown lettuce!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I honestly think that every time I'm away from my laptop for more than a few days you have an accident! I'm so sorry to hear that you've hurt your thumb, but it didn't stop you from cooking an awesome meal. Big hugs to you and I hope you get the love seat sorted. Take it easy now.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch! Not to make light of your injury and hoping you heal quick but it made me remember that as kids we would tape our thumbs to our hands and try to do normal stuff. LOL we were weird.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Susan! :) I don't know how the other "animals" evolved without the thumb, it's very handy. :) Yeah, it was a bad bend, I think I was in shock for a few minutes after it happened.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Joyce :)) Oh my gosh, I'm very glad I didn't have to wear a full-on cast. I remember wearing those and they were itchy, especially in the summer. I rolled out a pie crust today without my thumb, at least I had my left fingers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Dianna! :) Dinner was extra good because of all the effort I put in! :) I'm so excited about making ice cream. I've used the ice cream maker before, but we always substituted milk for the cream because of our digestions. Now that we have strong stomachs again, we're going to dabble in 35% cream again! Alex did the porch love seat today! It worked out great, I'll post some pics soon! My porch is a cozy hygge haven now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Goatldi :)) You're right, quitting isn't an option. A little pity party is called for at times though lol...as long as it's quick and effective and I can get on with my life. I can't wait to have more lettuce, maybe next week it'll be big enough to harvest. I have to keep a lot going, maybe plant new seeds weekly for the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Yarrow! :) LOL...it's true isn't it? The last time it was my tumble and bruises...this time it's my thumb. I'm a self-admitted clutz and I routinely have cuts and bruises, but this was definitely not expected. I was holding the leash the absolute wrong way when two of the dogs lunged towards a critter and my thumb got in the way. Thanks, I'm definitely taking it easy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Debra :)) Thank you! I hope it's 2 weeks and not 6 weeks. This splint is a pain in the butt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lol Jenn...thank you for the well wishes. I think I was a dumb kid. I used to glue my fingers together...and (of course) I was the kid who stuck my tongue to the light pole in winter...ooh, that wasn't a pleasant "dismount" lol...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh no. I hope your poor thumb heals quickly.
    I cant wait ro see your loveseat in your porch. It looks very cozy and I am sure Alex is gonna cone up with a good solution:)
    Lets not talk about the weather .....
    Love all the pooches smiling at you 💖

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Sis, Solstice tomorrow :)
    The love seat is GORGEOUS for a CT purchase!!! :) Alex made it fit and it's very comfy. I'll post tomorrow! No, let's not talk about the weather...but...okay I won't! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. At least you can still use it to hitchhike! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rain, so sorry about your thumb. I'm amazed you could cook such a yummy dinner with your thumb splinted.Heal quickly--so you can get back into gardening. Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh yes, nothing like an injured thumb to make you realize how useful they are! I slashed mine with a knife today cutting veg for lunch. Yes I was rushing. Blood everywhere, what an annoying mess. Oh well, here's to healing for both of us. (Working on a keyboard is a PITA too isn't it?)

    ReplyDelete
  19. ouch! At least you can still cook. That is a bonus. Hopefully you new sofa will fit where you want it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the support Gill! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Sandy :)) Thank you! I hope I heal quickly too, but I'm really not going to stop gardening...I just have to be a little extra creative! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Donna :)) Oh gosh I hope you heal fast! When I'm in a hurry I try not to touch sharp objects or large machinery lol...I know myself too well. I'm the type who runs with scissors...bad. Typing with this metal splint on...tick, tick, tick on the space bar. I have to use my other thumb for a change!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks Kristina! :) If I couldn't be in the kitchen, I might not be doing so well mood-wise so for that I'm grateful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think it is so neat that you and Alex buy books to surprise each other! Sorry about your thumb injury and hope it heals soon for you! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Nancy! :) Thanks for the well wishes. I hope it heals quickly too, it's frustrating at best! :) Alex and I have decided we'd much prefer books as gifts to each other. It's a very nice surprise! :)

    ReplyDelete

❤ Thanks for your comment, I love hearing from everyone! ❤ Why not join me and my fellow artists every Thursday for TADD? That's Thursday Art and Dinner Date! It's a lot of fun!
Love,
Rain