Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Summer Solstice! My Porch Is Now Complete! :))


Necessity is the mother of invention isn't it? :) Alex found a way to fix the love seat so it fits on the porch! He had to take one of the arm rests off. Problem was, it was holding up the bottom so he built a wood box to sit under the side against the wall so that I'd be safe up there. The back wasn't the same size as the front...and of course, our porch floor is NOT level, so it took some work. But he did it! It's sturdy and oh so comfy!


And I can fit up there with TWO dogs!!! Alex has to wait his turn. :) Actually I can move the pillows around and use it as a day bed facing the yard with Jack at my feet while the big dogs are in the yard. We were so glad he found a solution without having to alter the love seat. We want to be able to use it with both arm rests in the future.


Of course, we had to celebrate the completion of the cozy porch with a cocktail! :) We had our own favourite Old Fashioned's on the new love seat with all the dogs around us. We'd love to let the cats out, but we know they'd scratch the screen to bits. The secret ingredient in these Old Fashioned's is "Rain's Simple Syrup". You might notice no link to that....it's a secret and I'll take it to the grave!!! ;)


As a thank you, I made Alex one of his favourite brunches, Ham and Swiss Cheese Quiche. What a treat for both of us! :) 

Happy Summer Solstice!!!  For me, this day is called Midsummer...midway between Spring planting and Fall harvest. It's also a day I'm celebrating the bounty of the first harvest of the season. I'm so grateful for my garden and the lovely food it's already given to me! :) Today's holiday is a fire festival celebrating the Sun, so if the rain stops, a camp fire will be on the agenda...if not, I'll be lighting candles and we'll be sitting out on the porch to enjoy the evening and Nature all around us. :)

26 comments:

  1. Your love seat looks fabulous! Kudos to Alex for making it fit. Solstice blessings to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. way to go alex. i'm glad you were able to make it fit! that quiche looks scrumptious! happy solstice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks Great! But you are going to need a larger couch, I think...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quiche, alcohol, sunshine, AND puppies! It'll be a great day! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You two are so clever and make things work so that it's just perfect for you. Love, love, love your cozy, comforting, lovely posts!

    Quiche is on the menu for tonight in our house. Yours looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very creative with the porch. Looks so cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Solstice!! Love the loveseat! It looks so incredibly cozy and private out there I wish I had something like that very thing!

    I have been running tip to tail with work - I have it on my agenda to get those garden pics to you and I will!! I promise!!!

    Mmmmm, quiche! I would have it without ham...I am not much of a pork eater. But I will just add more cheese if that's okay! :)

    Have a great evening!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks so comfortable, enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A nice spot to sit on a summer night. We have a porch swing with chains going to the ceiling, a common sight at old farm houses around here, some had one at each end.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Solstice. This is such a beautiful time of year! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's perfect!. That would quickly become the favorite spot in the house! I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely space you have created! I would live out there - covered in dogs and cats. Heaven! Rats. I was going to ask for the recipe of your secret simple syrup. But, then it wouldn't be secret! I whipped up a broccoli quiche last night - it's hard to keep up with egg supply, but quiches are my fav.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Joyce! :) That quiche is still in my taste memory...I have to make another one! We're overjoyed that the love seat fits well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi TB! :) You're right...I need to be able to fit 2 humans and 4 dogs up there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sandi! :) Thanks for dropping by my blog! :) You're right, that is a very good combination lol...it was a great day and each day is so wonderful when I can be out on my porch!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Mama Pea! :)) The quiche seems to be on a lot of people's menus these days, I've noticed lots of bloggers mentioning it. I love the stuff, and believe it or not, this is the first one I've ever made - but NOT the last!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Dianna! I'm so late responding...belated Happy Solstice to you too! lol...5 days later??? Eek. A cheese-only quiche sounds good to me. Actually the next one I make will be broccoli and cheddar. I love my cozy porch. The other night we sat out there and pulled all the curtains closed, lit the candles and had some Limoncello after dinner. It was so nice! We felt like we were in a first class train car or something lol...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Leigh! :) It is so far my favourite "room" of the house, I'm always out there. The curtains protect us from the rain so I can be out there anytime, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Susan! :) Oh, I'm sorry, I can't give out the secret formula of my simple syrup...maybe I'll email it to you ;) But that's a BIG maybe!!! It's my only secret recipe ha ha. I'm trying my best to be out on the porch as much as possible. We did let one of the cats out, but as we thought, he went right for the screen so we can't take the chance! They're indoor cats so we'd freak out if any of them got loose. They do take advantage of the upstairs veranda though, they don't scratch that screen, no idea why!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Gill :) I saw the photo of your porch today, it looks nice! It is a wonderful spot for the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just came back from our first camping trip of the year...oh did I tell you we bought an old camper :) :) anyway...trying to catch up on blogs.
    Love your love seat solution. It looks so cozy. Kids and us had a full day at solstice ... crafts decorating the house and bonfire ... it was all about the sun ... the one thing we are terribly missing these days. Hope the sun peaked through for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Nik :) I'm glad you enjoyed your camping trip! I'm sitting in the sun right now but it's a disappointing summer so far, oh well. Last summer was amazing, I guess they all can't be that way! The porch is very cozy :)

    ReplyDelete

❤ Thanks for your comment, I love hearing from everyone! ❤ Why not join me and my fellow artists every Thursday for TADD? That's Thursday Art and Dinner Date! It's a lot of fun!
Love,
Rain