Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Holiday Food Fun and a Bang! For The Scribble Picnic!


Hello my friends!! :)

I hope you all had a very nice Christmas! We did. It was very quiet and cozy with lots of food! And there was a Christmas miracle...NO weekenders! NO loud snowmobiles! Feels like a dream... ;)

I can't wait to catch up on your blogs my friends...see how your holidays are going!! :) This is my paper maché snow couple. Notice the hats? It was like looking into a mirror lol! ;) These were fun to make! A very frugal and creative craft.


Last Friday was the Winter Solstice. I made a Tomato Soup Au Gratin with my yearly Yule Log Cake. Though this year, I kept it very simple - no meringue mushrooms or big decorations on the cake! Delicious!


To symbolize the return of the Sun on the Solstice, I made a bowl of pomanders. These are fun and easy to make and they smell AMAZING. Though at one point I had to wrap some Scotch tape around my index finger...those cloves are sharp!


Christmas Eve was appetizer night!! :) I took this panorama photo to show you how I set up our eating area...what we call the "Breakfast Bar". We don't have a dining room, I use that for my office, but this is a good set up for us. We watched Merry Christmas Mr. Bean while we feasted!


On the menu was some nice Italian sweet wine, Nivole. It's a little sparkling and EASY to drink! I made Goat Cheese Popovers - a first for me and they tasted great! Reminded me slightly of Yorkshire Pudding. I had some dips made so I baked up some Pita Chips and Tortilla Chips as well.


The dips from Halloween were such a hit that I decided to make them again! I made a Bacon Cheddar Dip and a Corn Salsa. At Halloween I made the salsa with Goat cheese, but omitted it this time and it was still just as good! Also on the menu were some really nice New Potatoes with Cheddar and Chives - from my own potato harvest! Yahoo! :) We opened one of the Camemberts too...a little runny and strong, but tasty! (See Rainy Day Cheese Making for more details).


I made a loaf of my No-Knead Bread and some cheesy crackers I found in a Martha Stewart Appetizer cookbook - they weren't very good so I won't share that recipe! I've been having bad luck with Martha's recipes in the last few years...I tend to stick with Williams Sonoma now.


Dessert was a plate of yummies! Candied Fruit Tarts, Rum Balls and Raspberry Jam Thumbprint Cookies. :) I took a few hours each day from the 22nd through to the 24th to make all of these things so I wouldn't have all that pressure making everything all on one day. I'm going to do that from now on! We have SO MANY leftovers!!!


For stocking stuffers, I made some Homemade Maple Fudge and for the first time, some Torrone (nougat) for Alex. I followed a video recipe I found online. It turned out well, but it was a little too sticky and gooey. The recipe was very easy to follow, but the author didn't include any type of temperature ranges for cooking the candy during the process. If I can find that information, I'll make it again! We decided on no gifts this year so that we can continue to save money...but I had to make something for the stockings!


Alex made me a really nice card from pine needles!! :)


For Christmas, I made a Chinese Fondue, also called a Hot Pot or Fondue Chinoise. :) It's actually a nice easy meal to make and very healthy after a big night of appetizers! It's a broth based fondue that you can serve with anything really. I chose some chicken, broccoli and cauliflower. I made a few Sauces and some Rice Pilaf to go with it.


Dessert was English Trifle for two. Now to digest.... :)


The Boxing Day Scribble Picnic theme is Bang! Bugs is a highfalutin cowboy whose pistol packs quite a bang! :) 


I'll bring all of the leftover Christmas goodies to the picnic this week, we can watch "Bugs Bunny Rides Again" while we pig out!!! Hope you have an appetite!!! :) (If the video doesn't work, the link to watch it is HERE.)


No "bang" in this watercolour, just a silent night.


The holidays seem to rush up and I look forward to them so much, then bang! They are over. I feel like Santa a little bit today. :)

43 comments:

  1. Your feasts sounds terrific. You are so good at making things from scratch. Plus you are not afraid to try new things. Leftovers are the bomb. We have had so many I haven't cooked in a week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! look at all that great and carefully prepared food. Your Alex is a lucky fellow. And those snowmen, just so cute. Happy Holidays to you Rain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the food looked fabulous Rain. I made an English trifle - actually tonight I made a second for company coming for dinner tomorrow - the first one was demolished on Christmas Eve as we had 11 guests!

    Wishing you and Alex a very happy New Year - may all your plans work out and your dreams come true.
    Love your 'picnic' art today - and the card Alex made is really awesome - such a great idea!

    Take care in the winter weather.
    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha your bang piece gave me a chuckle! Your other art is great too. What a delicious Xmas post. Now on to a Happy New Year when it comes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you had a happy solstice, Yule and Christmas. My gawd, you and Alex eat well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm... so many wonderful things to feast on. And I love your snowmen. My son made one like that once upon a time. Right now I'm sure hoping I saved it because now I want to pull it out (maybe next year) and put it on display. I hope you and Alex have a wonderful New Year celebration, Rain!..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, look at all that food. Yep. Christmas is here and then gone, but it was good this year. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year! Your Christmas menu was terrific! Could you share a photo of the Camembert, please! Everything looks...YuM!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rain, you never fail to amaze me. I absolutely love your enthusiasm for holiday fun and food. Everything looks scrumptious! Now, on to the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how I wish we lived closer to each other. Every time I read your blog, I want to give you a big hug and tell you what an amazing person you are ... and to add to my admiration, you remind me of my mother who cooked everything from scratch, was an artist and always made our holidays amazing. She is my roll model and now you come along and bring all those wonderful memories back in technicolor ... Thank you for being you. I have not been able to fix my blogger and until I do no one will be able to comment of even contact me in any way. I am going to do a "no no" and put my email address in you comment so I can hear from you once in awhile (ajpdna@gmail.com). I wasn't able to whip up a "bang" this week, but am working on my next week already. Your Christmas was storybook and I am wishing you a wonderful New Year. Thank you for helping me in the past and I look forward to following you now and in the future ...

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Marsha :) Thank you! You are right, leftovers are amazing right now because I just want to sit and relax for a few days!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Donna :) We love to celebrate with food! Especially this year since we decided on no presents. Hope you both had a great holiday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Mary :) Oooh TWO trifles!!! How fun! I love the stuff. I made the custard from scratch too, that was a first for me and it turned out fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Christine :) On to a happy new year! I have more great food planned!!! :))

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Debra :) Hope you had a great holiday with your Rare One!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Becki :) I hope you find that snowman! It's a lot of fun to do paper maché, it's not just for kids!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Kristina :) 2018 was a little trying for me, but Christmas was very relaxing, I'm grateful for that!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Dino :) Everything was so YUM!!! And there is plenty leftover! I saw you commented on my cheese blog, yeah...the Cam...oh well, I'll try again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Leigh :) Thank you! I love to make memories with Alex and the furries...and we all LOVE to eat so that makes things easy! :) On to 2019!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Andrea :) Thank you so much, that's so sweet! I'm glad I can bring back those memories for you!! :) It sucks about your blog, I wish I could help you with that. As for your email, I just wanted you to know I've been sending you emails now and then, but I'm guessing you haven't received them! Next scribble picnic post, I'm going to post a little note for you in case you don't see this reply. It must be so frustrating not being able to fix the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  21. bugs is always fun to watch, good take on the scribble theme.

    so much food... wish I can eat some of them right now.

    have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful foods! There is something special about eating food you have grown yourself. And nice to see your art is still going strong.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks Lissa :) Bugs is my favourite, I love his antics!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks Tpals :) I appreciate your comment! I put the art on hold a little during November and December but I missed it too much! :) I LOVE going downstairs to get potatoes out of the cellar! It's so rewarding!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are so organized (and creative!) What a great idea, appetizers for Christmas Eve. I may have to steal that. And invite guests. I so love your snowman couple - you have the hats bang-on! I hope you and Alex have a wonderful year - and find your dream home.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks Susan! :) Steal away!! :) It's a great meal for Christmas Eve, and you can start the prep work days in advance. The only thing I did last minute was the potatoes...and the popovers, I wanted them to be fresh and warm! :) And thanks, I do hope we find our dream home too! I hope you also have a wonderful 2019!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. what a spread rain! i love how you do this for just the 2 of you! you sure know how to celebrate. i can't believe how fast xmas flew by. we are having warm, sunny weather which is such a bummer. now i have a very short time to prepare for my new year's day party. i have a ton of cooking to do in the next few days. i can't believe the days are getting shorter already. happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Joyce :)) Yes, it was a great spread! :) Yours too though, my gosh you put so much into your meals, I'm inspired! Time in general is flying by too quickly isn't it? New Year's Eve is going to be a raclette again this year, and tourtière for New Year's day! I hope you get some snow!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Those paper mache snowmen are darling and I really like the card Alex made. You are right. I look forward to Christmas and it is over so fast. We did have a wonderful time with family and now to start planning for next year and rest and recover from this year! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  30. Merry (belated) Christmas, Rain! Your snow couple is adorable! I love the addition of the hats and scarves. So darn cute.

    And so much good food at your house. I bet it smelled amazing. Very cool about there being no loud people around. Makes for a very beautiful and peaceful Christmas up north.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks Nancy :) It went by too fast! But we have some nice New Year's planned...all food-related of course!! :) Then we have our birthdays, Valentines...our anniversary...I'm happy that we have some celebrations during the winter months, makes it more fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks Martha :) The paper maché was a lot of fun! I'm going to keep that hobby up I think. It's so frugal and it can bring a lot of creativity out! This is the first Christmas up here where there were no loud people...I suspect it had to do with the rain and freezing rain, so from now on I won't complain about that kind of weather lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you John, same to you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a feast you put on for Christmas Eve and Christmas! I don't know where you guys out it....you're both slim! It must be those walks with the dogs! LOL! I love your paper mache snow people and the hats are too cute. I love Alex's card with the pine needles. It's amazing how creative we become when we use what we have available. The best of the New Year to you, Alex and the fur babies! Love your painting of Santa too!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Rain,

    I hope you and yours had a joyful Christmas. The spread you prepared for Christmas Eve is marvelous and I'm sure it was enjoyed by all! I'm so glad you displayed your pomanders. It reminded me that I wanted to do this and then forgot, so I quickly made a single pomander just now to put in the living room. The scent is so heavenly! I normally make a concoction of citrus (orange or tangerine) peels, a cinnamon stick, and a few gloves to simmer in water on the stove top. It really makes the whole house smell nice. I like your take on 'bang' and I sorta thought about doing something along this line but then changed gears. My sketch won't post until Monday, though. I hope you guys have a nice relaxing and fun New Year's Eve celebration. We have plans to just stay home. There are too many crazies on the road. :) May God bless you with good health, happiness, and success in all you do. XO

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Sam :) It IS all the dog walking lol! Actually we only really eat one meal a day so that helps keep the weight off! Thanks Sam, it's so much fun to create stuff and I love that we are being frugal at the same time!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks Cathy :) Cool! I'm glad you made a pomander!! I did mine kind of last minute but next year I will try to make more intricate designs and maybe hang them up with ribbons too! I do that as well, I put a bunch of spices in a pot with water and just simmer it all morning, I LOVE that fragrance!! I'll be sure to check out your blog to see your BANG!! We are just staying home too, no point in going out! :) Thanks for the well wishes, I wish the same to you and your hubs!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Happy Christmastide, Rain! I like to celebrate the Christmas season all the way to the 12th day of xmas and especially love Boxing Day as a chance to have a more mellow xmas day with leftovers, etc....except we didn't;t really do anything on xmas day itself so none of that this year.

    I love your Bang Bugs cartoon. Perfect!

    And as for all your food itmes--so yummy. I especially love the idea of that fondue and the smell of the orange and cloves is such a good idea that we really need to implement here at some point too.

    Now weekenders! Wheee! :) So good and relaxing. A much better xmas that the frenetic pace most people go most of the time, right?

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow, what a spread Rain! I think it's so special for the both of you! Everything looks perfect and looks so yummy too! Love the snowmen!! So glad your Christmas and Yule went well! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I forgot to say, love your art pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thanks Michael :) The pomanders are VERY fragrant...it's a wonderful addition to a cozy Christmas! :) Whee is right! :) Though they are here in HOARDS this weekend sigh, oh well, one day I hopefully won't hear anything but a pin dropping! :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thanks Stacy :) The meals were so good, I just love being in the kitchen. Lots more to come for the New Year weekend!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

❤ Thanks for your comment, I love hearing from everyone! ❤ Why not join me and my fellow artists every Thursday for TADD? That's Thursday Art and Dinner Date! It's a lot of fun!
Love,
Rain