Sunday, December 9, 2018

Homemade Dog Boots - The Frugal Way!



Hello my friends! :)

I hope you're all doing well, keeping warm or cool depending on where you live! :)

Temperatures have reached the -20's C (-4 to -20F) here in the mountains some days. We have so much snow, I'm still loving it though! :) 

But it makes for painful "potty time" for the dogs. Their feet get really cold and there are times when they jump around and yelp when it gets too cold for them. So I always make sure I have some dog boots for them.

These are FUNCTIONAL...not fashionable lol...They usually only last a few winters, inevitably some get lost or torn...so I just sew the basics without worrying too much about appearance!

I start with dollar store polar fleece mittens. They are kids sizes.


Since I made some for Jack already, I only had to make a set for the huskies to share since they don't always need them. I used the largest mittens they had for kids, cut off the thumbs and sewed them up.


I used to buy the Muttluks dog boots for my pugs. Those are so expensive and honestly they didn't always stay on. My homemade dog boots cost less than $4 a set. 

These boots are primarily for Marlene (though Charlie can use them when she needs them), so I measured around her ankles to get the right size elastic. Then I sewed some velcro on each end, they will wrap around her leg to secure the boot. I made 6 of these. Back boots will have one strap, front boots will each have two. 


These are the back boots. I sewed the strap on just around the soft end of the velcro to attach to the top of the boot, so that the strap is loose and can pull tightly around the leg. Each boot also has a thinner piece of elastic sewn as a loop, this keeps the strap from pulling up and the boot from falling down. All dollar store supplies.


Front boot: One strap goes up around the ankle, and the other a little lower down. I put two straps on the front boots because they seem to get more action.

The key to placement of the straps is to make sure they are placed above the ankle bone and they are snug enough to stay in place, but not too tight to cut off circulation.  Most of this was done with my machine, but I had to do a little hand sewing (not a fan!). 


When I made Jack's boots last year, they were a little too short for him, didn't reach up to his ankle bones; so I had to sew some fabric to the top of the boot (the pale blue fabric was an old sweater) - that way the straps fit snugly above his ankle bones. If you don't get that strap in the right spot, the boots come off the minute they take a step.

This year,  I only had to replace the velcro on his boots. They've held up one big winter already, let's hope for a second!


Not a happy husky! Marlene is not a fan of the boots! But her feet get really cold, so she'll have to get used to them. I also made her a little vest out of an old pair of pj's I had - another frugal project. Re-use!!! :)


Charlie's coat is SO THICK in the winter, and her toes are very hairy, so she rarely needs extra help. But on those days when it's -40, we take the dogs out one at a time, and the girls can share the boots!


Jack is an old pro wearing his boots...he's giving Marlene some advice I think! :)


After about 20 minutes of encouragement, Marlene was finally walking around on her own! :) She pee'd but wouldn't poop until I took the boots off, lol...silly dog. She'll get used to them though! 


I have a little set up over the heater by the door to dry up the boots between trips outside. Works well!

Just a note: After reading a few initial comments, I wanted to say that with these dollar store mittens, made with polar fleece, the boots don't really need waterproofing. In really frigid weather, the dogs don't stay outside long enough to soak them through. They dry quickly because I hang them by the heater after each use. Though I have taken Charlie on hour-long walks with the boots on her and they never got soaked at all. I suppose if we were in the city with a lot of slush, that would be a different story!

47 comments:

  1. I love the little boots, my old boy Ben suffers when there is a hard frost so I knitted him some boots. I like your invention and will be searching out some polar fleece. I make them coats and add a waterproof top layer from Charity Shop rain coats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a clever idea. Waterproofing makes sense. I will pass this on to my daughter who lives in Switzerland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so cute rain and what a great idea. thank god mine don't need them because i can't imagine trying to put them on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE how you take such good care, of your dogs!!!!!!!! Lucky doggies, they are, too! :-)

    Take good care, and do it, in a thrifty way. Win, win!!!

    Hugs...

    ✨✨✨✨

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so clever! I’m impressed and your dogs are clearly grateful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet they really appreciate the winter clothes and boots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your homemade doggie boots are so clever! I love that photo of them all hanging in a row to dry. Awwwwwww!

    Thanks for answering the Grinch quiz over at my blog, Rain. I enjoyed all your comments. And I must say . . . I LOVE CHRISTMAS PLUM PUDDING! Can I come to your house and eat some of yours when you make it? Oh, if only we were neighbours, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is there anything you can’t do, Rain? You are so clever and inventive. Your dogs are so fortunate to have an owner like you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome!!! My Dakota would not wear them though. He would stop in the yard and do his best to get them off.

    ReplyDelete
  10. very nice improv! I have a cheap set of booties for Arty, who also gets cold feet (If Apollo gets cold feet he doesn't admit to it). But they don't always stay on. I have some elastic velcro (its the soft half of velcro, then you buy some cheap velcro and steal the harder half from it), that I keep meaning to try to make my own version, but haven't gotten around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Rain - this is so clever and your pooches are adorable, and certainly warm in those. And your drying rack is genius. You amaze me, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very clever! Jack looks quite warm and cozy and I got such a kick out of Marlene's expression!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perfect! Clever and resourceful! Look at you go!!! Snuggled paws...Happy pups! Thanks for sharing that very awesome DIY, Rain!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have booties for Jesse too, but I do love your set up for keeping organized and able to dry out between uses.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The snow boots...do they work keeping your doggies feet warm? How about dry? I've wondered about such things but never knew anyone who uses these for their animals. Very clever idea making your own! I love the covered bridge - beautiful! Keep warm an have a joyful Christmas season, my friend! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! Lucky dogs and talented you! Coco needs a new sweater as she has outgrown hers and I need to come up with something. We had just moved with our previous dog and had a mud back yard so I put plastic bags on her feet with a rubber band. Not a good idea as I missed seeing one rubber band to take off! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very clever repurposing.

    Some of my young hens don't have feathered legs and I feel sorry for them without that extra layer. I suspect they wouldn't appreciate booties though.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Genius! You are so smart! I'm thinking she doesn't want to poop in the boots because they use their claws to hold on to the ground so they don't 'fall' into it! LOL! Just a theory. Stay warm! It is cold here 20 F in the morning but not as cold as you and warming to 55 F. I think there's something to be said about getting older and not being able to tolerate extremes of temperature. Are you prepping for Christmas? Give the dogs a big hug from me. They're so precious! My girls are doing good except for Annie with her 'accidents' but we manage here in Elder Village! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh, this is the cutest thing! I love that photo of all them hanging to dry. That is so adorable!!! And a very clever way to repurpose.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Pam :) I started to knit some sweaters, but sewing them takes less time and I can re-use my old clothes. I never thought of knitting boots for them though!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Susan :) I hope your daughter finds it useful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks Joyce :) I laughed at the thought of you putting boots on the W's!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks Wisps of Words :) Thrifty is a win win!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks Debra :) Yeah, that photo is darling isn't it? Oh if I make the plum pudding...it's a big IF. I looked up the recipe and I don't know that I have it in me this year!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks Starting Over :) Oh that's a nice compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks Pam :) At first Jack tried to shake them off, but he got used to them. I think he likes them now because his feet don't get cold! Marlene is still getting used to them though!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks Ruth :) You might be able to add more velcro to the booties you already have for Artie. As long as it's tight enough above the ankle bone, they should stay on!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks Becki :) I got that drying rack idea online somewhere, maybe Martha Stewart, but I can't remember!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks Susan :) Marlene was NONE to happy, lol...she kept looking at me as though I were trying to torture her!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks Dino :) You're welcome! I'm so happy I figured out an easy way to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks Kristina :) The drying rack works really well. That polar fleece dries quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks Cathy :) Yup, warm and dry. They only wear them when it's below -15C (5F) and in that weather, I don't walk them, I let them out in the yard, so they aren't out long enough to get them soaked. They definitely keep their feet warm too. The covered bridge here does add some charm to the village!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks Nancy :) Oh plastic bags...I've worn those in leaky boots lol, but I guess the dogs wouldn't want to keep them on!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks Tpals :) I can't see putting booties on chickens!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks Sam :) Your theory is possible about the claws holding Marlene up to poop. She's okay now though, it's been a few days and she realizes they are staying put so she's adjusting! :) I don't tolerate extreme cold anymore - I used to when I was younger, but I find each year it gets harder. Oh yes, prepping for Christmas is DONE!! The house is decorated and the food is planned and shopped for! Elder Village!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks Martha :) We're pretty much on a spending freeze except for a few things and mostly just essentials so re-purposing brings a lot of pride as well as savings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi John :) Yes! They do appreciate them, I'm sure of it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. I don't know how I missed this post, but I am so happy I found it! I love it! You are brilliant! I love your dog shoes and I love the photos! How precious! Thank you! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  39. How sweet of you to make such nice boots for your darling let's dear Rain!

    I absolutely loved these adorable guys in pretty outfits that protect them from such freezing weather

    You are all rounder my friend:)

    Please take care and stay warm as only reading about minus 20 making me shake

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thanks Stacy :) Making them on my own saves so much money each year!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thanks Baili :) -20 makes me shake too...I love winter, but that really frigid cold is getting harder and harder to handle!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Yay for fleece and keeping one's doggies comfortable in the snow.

    ReplyDelete

❤ Thanks for your comment, I love hearing from everyone! ❤ Why not join me and my fellow artists every Thursday for TADD? That's Thursday Art and Dinner Date! It's a lot of fun!
Love,
Rain