Thursday, September 19, 2019

Thursday Art Date: Texture


Hello Friends :)

Welcome to Thursday's Art Date, today our theme is Texture. I wasn't sure how to add texture to Bugs Bunny at first, then I figured I'd just make him hairier!  What did you come up with for this theme?


I haven't done an abstract painting in a while, so I decided to try to do one that showcased texture. I started off with drops of acrylic paint and my palette knife.


And it somehow turned into this! I sprinkled on some salt while the paint was wet.


As the salt and paint dried up, it left some really nice texture on the painting. This was fun to do! And so was my next project!!


I love doing paper maché and I decided to do my skeleton hands for this theme as well. Here's how I did it:


I had some bamboo sticks that I cut the size of my fingers. I marked out where the knuckles should be and carefully bent the sticks at those points - being careful not to break them off totally; I then wrapped tape around the knuckles. I took some spare yarn and wrapped the fingers, making sure to add extra yarn around the knuckles so the'd stand out more.


For the wrist bones, I wrapped a few bamboo sticks in parchment paper and cut each one in half so I'd have four bones. I used a glue gun to glue the fingers and thumbs together.


The next step was gluing the hands to the wrists and putting large pieces of masking tape around the "fleshy" part of the hands.


Paper maché was the next step. I put these in a sunny window so they dried within 24 hours. 


The last step was to paint them. I used black and grey, then a wash of brown and water to create the look of decaying hands. I'm having fun with them!




This is only one of many paper maché projects I have in mind for the next month or so!


A few foodie photos: I made some coleslaw on Sunday but didn't know what to serve with it. I had plenty of fresh veggies from the market so I made Open Faced Garden Veggie Sandwiches.


I'm really not a vegetable person, but these sandwiches are so delicious with a mix of eggplant, zucchini, tomato, onion and garlic!


And I wanted to show you my babies! I have NINE wheels of cheese aging right now! They are all smelling divine and changing colours as they age. I can't wait to try them! :)

See you on Sunday for my weekly food and pet post! 🐶🐶🐶🐱🐱🐱

********************

A drawing I made during last year's spring cleaning


September 26th: Next Thursday's theme is Mechanical. Click on the link for ideas and inspiration! Remember it's all about creating. You can showcase your paintings, drawings, photography, sculpting, baking, poetry...whatever you like! :)

Thursday Art Date With Rain. Click on the link for a description of the art date as well as a list of upcoming themes.

Don't forget to add the URL link to your post (not your blog) to the link gadget below to share your wonderful creations! Please don't include a link unless you participate in the art date!

********************


41 comments:

  1. i loved the hairy face of bugs
    looked superb
    i think this idea was best for the theme specially when bugs is in :)

    Oh dear can't tell you how these scary hands gave me shiver lol
    i can smell the little very naughty Rain here :)))

    the way you captured them with various pauses is truly taken me horror movies
    though same hands with black and white looked friendly

    if my younger son will read the method of making these he would love to make us frightened lol

    Excellent job ,you rock :)

    your sandwich look tempting indeed my friend ,i love veggies (now lol) so i will try them for sure
    drawing is awesome :)

    and yes the texture you created by beautiful abstract art is GORGEOUS!!!

    i can see the snow falling over the fields of sunflower gently :)

    wishing you best of luck for next ides for everything you are going to attempt :)
    hugs! take lots of care !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rain,

    Excellent job with the texture theme! I love your paper mache skeleton hands!! Your images with the hands placed coming out of the oven and pot are my favorites. lol Good job! Your foodie shots look fabulous. You always make me so hungry. That cheese looks great! After the ready date, how is the shelf life determined? I'm sure you guy use it up fast since nearly every dish you make has cheese but we aren't big cheese eaters even though we love it. :) Thanks for hosting the artsy fun, my friend. Have a doodle-tastic day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those skeleton hands are wonderful! And I love the photos of them "around the house," LOL! And I've missed seeing your Bugs Bunny art!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coffee on the porch this fine morning!!! Love your cheese!!! There are two pumpkins about the size of a bowling ball now, and they are looking awesome! Have a great art day, and hope to catch up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job showing all these texture pieces, my favourite is your palette knife abstract. Perfect colours for fall too. Yummy on the food photos. You are a creative in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, I thought the skeleton hands were real and I was wondering where you might have come across them. I watch enough mystery programs on TV to know that you would need to get the police involved if you dug up a skeleton in your yard, HA! You never cease to amaze me. I have done paper mache before, but not for years. I think I will revive the process ... it would be a great fun thing to do with my granddaughter. As for your food ... you do realize I am on a perpetual diet and your delicious food makes it hard for me to resist. Though I promise I would throw my diet to the wind if I were at your house for even a day. I love your texturized Bugs ... makes him look like his nerves are tingling which I am guessing, knowing Bugs, that it wouldn't be an unusual state. Have to run. Taking my dog to the vet (nothing serious). Will be back to check out everyone's textures :)

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
  7. those hands are too cool! aren't homemade decorations the best? that cheese is incredible. think of what that would cost to buy at a store! you are lucky you don't live by me because i would be "borrowing" a cup of cheese on a regular basis....hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much going on in one post, Bugs Bunny, cheese, zombie hands! Love it! I do love the texture in that painting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. awesome article..
    thank for your sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so talented! Your art, your culinary skills... much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great texture creations, Rain! Bugs Bunny looks really fuzzy, and those paper maché hands are crazy! I used to do paper maché with my school kiddos some years ~ usually dinosaurs. Love the salty orange abstract too! Have a great weekend with Alex and the four-footed ones!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Creepy hands and just in time for Halloween, Rain, and placing them around was such fun to see. I especially liked the photo with hands in the pot and on the stove. The food, as always, made me hungry and that cheese is looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so talented and what I like about you is that you do "big rocks first" which I have a problem with thus I don't always get to what I would like to do. But, I am doing better! I love your abstract and your "Bugs with texture" is awesome. Those hands are super scary and I love how you staged them!
    Look at your cheese!?!?!? You are the cheese Queen! A great thing to use coleslaw for is on top of a pulled pork sandwich. It is a really tasty combo. I can't eat them apart anymore. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. your art is always fun, I love the hands - great for Halloween!
    Impressed with the cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Eeewww, skeleton hands! 😱

    Ha ha...I forgot Wilma vacuumed with a wooly mammoth!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Baili :) Yes, my naughty side is coming out as we get closer and closer to Halloween! Alex said we should put the skeleton hands on the car coming out of the trunk and drive around the village lol. I wish I loved veggies, but I have such a hard time digesting them so I avoid them. But that sandwich was so good and I had no trouble eating it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Cathy :) The hands are fun to play with! :) The cheese...well, it's true that we do eat it fast. But as for the shelf life, I can't answer that. Basically I know from experience that, if sealed properly, cheese can last a LONG time, we're talking up to a year for store bought stuff. Basically I go by sight, smell and taste. Sorry I can't be more specific!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Debra :) Bugs missed you too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Dino :) I can't wait to taste the cheese! And I'm very envious of your pumpkins!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Christine :) The painting was fun, I had no clue what I was doing lol.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Andrea :) Oh ha ha ha...I think I'd flip out if I found skeleton hands in my backyard!! :) I think you should revive the paper mache art! It's so much fun and you can create so many things. I hope your dog is okay. xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks Joyce :) I laughed so hard at your comment, I never thought of borrowing a cup of cheese before hee hee! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks Louise :) I love the idea of paper mache dinosaurs!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks Dorothy :) I'm having fun building up to Halloween, I have so many ideas for the paper mache if I can find the time!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks Sam :) Ha! The cheese Queen! I love that! Let's keep that title on hold until I actually taste some of that cheese!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ha, yes Sandi, and that wooly mammoth always had a smart comment didn't he? :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love all your artwork! I used to do some paper mache but haven't done it in years. Those hands are just fascinating and what a clever way to do them. It's always fun to pop in here. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks Diana :) Paper mache is so much fun, and so inexpensive! Thanks for dropping in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks Laurie :) So nice to hear from you! I found your new blog!! I know, the hands are creepy, I love that lol! I'm glad to hear you'll be back next Thursday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love the looks of that open face sandwich. YUMMY....Bugs is amazing. Great job. Salt, never added that to my paintings but I might have to give that a try. But those HANDS....oh my gosh, I love it. I love the fun you have had with it. That would have been one of those great things to get Alex with...

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks Pam :) I knew you'd love the hands!!! I thought about putting them in places to scare him, but I wouldn't want that to come back to me lol...

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your skeleton hands are BRILLIANT!

    Your cheeses look delicious … and I'm sure I can smell them through the internet! If only!!!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks Jan :) The hands are so much fun to play with! And yes, that cheese smells DIVINE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. You are fantastic Rain!! I love your skeleton hands coming out of everything! LOL! Well done on making them and I love bugs too! Your abstract with salt is so cool! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks Stacy :) I'm having so much fun with the hands!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. this is SO creative. Amazing really. love those hands ....

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love how the salt reacted with your paint. I've seen pins on that technique. Your paper mache hands are awesome! Perfect for October.

    ReplyDelete

❤ Thanks for your comment, I love hearing from everyone! ❤ Why not join me and my fellow artists every Thursday for TADD? That's Thursday Art and Dinner Date! It's a lot of fun!
Love,
Rain