Saturday, June 15, 2019

More Baby Squirrel News and Some Good Eats

Spunky and Algie

Hello Friends :)

Let's start with the cute stuff then get to the delicious stuff!!! As per my last post, Alex and I found 2 baby squirrels trapped in our basement. We've been rehabilitating them and they're both doing so well. They're eating the Squirrel "Knock-Off" Mother's Milk 5-6 times a day.


Algie is a SHE by the way! She adores the mother's milk and she's the most timid. She loves to be handled, in fact, she loves to be in our pockets!


I took a quick video of her in my pocket! I think I'm falling for her!!


Here she is eating some cheese from my hand. Alex doesn't wear gloves with them, but I'm still a little too afraid of being nibbled on!


Spunky lives up to his name, my gosh does he have energy! He loves Rice Krispies, cashews and cheese too!


Wednesday, very late at night...we found a third. This is Frasier. He was more than terrified and tried to bite us and escape every chance he could.


It took him two days to come out of the cage and hang out with his siblings on the shelf. We called him Frasier because we've been watching that show lately...and this little guy chirps away like his television namesake! :)


We had a breakthrough moment on Saturday morning...Frasier let Alex pick him up!


He perched himself up on Alex's hat! (Note the lamp in the background, notice anything? I know it's a bit blurry but there is a squirrel carving on that lamp! Alex has had that for so many years, kind of a coinky-dink isn't it?)


This is how we get them in and out of the cage. We call it "sock time"! :) They love to burrow into our socks, all three together. When we bring the sock out, they run inside and we just place them back into the cage, cover it and let them sleep until the next feeding. They are all eating the mother's milk, nuts, cereal and cheese now. We consulted a wildlife rescue who told us that we can start to incorporate certain veggies into their diets now that they're all eating solids.

They are also starting to nibble on wood to file their teeth, so we know they're doing very well. It's been surprisingly easy taking care of them! Alex is in the midst of building a new and bigger cage for them because we've noticed they're growing fast. They are between 5-6 weeks old and will be released at about 12 weeks, so they need more room.


We keep them on the screened-in veranda off our bedroom. The dogs are allowed in when the screen is closed, but the cats can only come in if the glass door is closed. Jack is the most curious!



I took a video of the three of them playing, it's very cute. (You can hear Jack whining in the background, he really wants to see the squirrels!) We decided to purchase some flea prevention for the squirrels and we gave that to them this evening. With our other pets, we just don't want to take any chances!


I just wanted to post a few delicious recipes I tried in the last few days! This is an Asparagus and Goat Cheese Panini - VERY good though next time I'd love to add some baked zucchini and/or eggplant.


Every 14th of the month, Alex and I celebrate another month together and we always have a fondue. This is my Tomato Pizza Fondue, it's so delicious!


For dessert, I made Diana's Spring Lime Pie. It was REALLY good and so easy! I made it over a graham cracker crust. Though my pie plate was too big so it's a little flat. Next time I'll use the smaller pie plate! Thanks Diana! :)

*** Just a reminder, this Thursday's Art Date theme is "Lonely" for anyone interested! (Please click on the link for inspiration!)

42 comments:

  1. They are so cute! I’m glad they’re doing so well, it’s really something that you and Alex become foster parents to squirrels when you’ve had the lamp all this time! You will miss them when you set them free but maybe they will stay around close, I have heard they sometimes do that. Your food looks so good, it’s very romantic to celebrate each milestone, hope you have a great rest of your weekend,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Rain, what a wonderful story about your little squirrels. You and Alex have such big hearts, it makes me so happy <3
    As always your food is making my tummy rumble, haha.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is great you are helping those tiny critters. So cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This just gets more amazing. Now three!! I love that they all squeeze into one sock together. (Reminds me of the Jan Brett story, "The Mitten"). -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  5. they are so cute and i can't believe how big they are! release? i'll believe it when i see it...haha!!!not many people can say they have a pocket full of squirrels!

    ReplyDelete
  6. CUTENESS OVERLOAD! I love those baby squirrels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. and then there were three! The food looks amazing, happy month versary guys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My bff works at a vet and this week one of their clients brought his 7yr old squirrel in while her dog friend had PT. He got her as a baby and said she is so sweet and makes a great pet. He got permission from Game and Fish to keep her and has a license for her. Her name is Sarah and is a rock squirrel. Your little baby squirrels are adorable. It would he hard for me to turn them loose. Poor Jack.....he wants to be friends with them lol. Are the cats curious about them?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so loving the pictures and on-going antics of your baby squirrels. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OHMYGOSH...I'm going to burst! This is more cuteness than I can handle :) They are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CUTE. And growing so quickly. Thank goodness for your kindness!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rain,

    Oh, good heavens aren't they the cutest little things ever! It's gonna be hard to release these little guys back into the wild when the time comes. I have a feeling you're going to be like Bob Ross and wind up keeping them or at least one of them. lol I love the pix with Frasier on Alex's hat. That adorable! The videos are precious and I enjoyed watching them very much. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Rain when i look at these cute little creatures the first thought comes in my mind that dear Lord knew your so kind and so loving heart and gave these tiny spirits in your authority as he knew they will be treated as sweetly !!!!!!!!!

    i am so touched by your love and care for these squirrels my friend and how amazing that Alex is helping you with all this :)

    thank you for sharing these wonderful precious images and videos ,i found them so adorable !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    your food is always strikingly appealing dear Rain!

    i start feeling hungry each time i look them lol

    stay blessed my friend!
    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Rain, I have noticed your comments on many posts of fellow bloggers who I also read, and of course when I “hears” about the squirrels had to check them out too. What fun you and Alex are having and the names are great too. My husband told me that years ago he also found several baby squirrels and cared for them, then released them. Unfortunately, they never returned he said. I would find it hard to not see them again, but know their home is being free in the outdoors. We are on an extended road trip now, but the key lime pie recipe looks like a great dessert once we return home...drat that we plan to return to a weight loss plan😕

    ReplyDelete
  14. Where in the world did the third one come from? And how did he survive all by himself? You've got some great pictures and video of the three of them. Such wonderful care you and Alex are providing for them. I wonder if they will leave "the premises" when it's time for them to be released to Nature?

    ReplyDelete
  15. They're just so cute.
    Lovely post, photographs and videos.
    I'm still smiling :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Laurie :) There weren't any happy memories of any celebration in my life so that's why I celebrate practically everything now! :) We will miss those babies when they're gone...I do hope they stick around and visit us sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Yarrow :) I wish we could keep them!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Jenn :) Yeah, THREE...after we caught little Frasier, we were kind of hoping there would be no more, and so far there hasn't been any scratching in the basement. The lady at the rescue said the typical litter for red squirrels is 2-4 so I think we got them all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ha! Joyce...seeing is believing...for sure lol! We keep saying we'll release them...the boys - Spunky and Frasier - for SURE need to be released...they're more wild...but little Algie...we'll see lol!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Debra :) They are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Christine :) I know, TRIPLETS!!! :)

    (

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Marsha :) Yes...the cats are interested, but we keep them out of the bedroom unless the glass door is closed, but overall our 6 are being really good with seeing them! That's really cool, Sarah the rock squirrel!! Here we don't need any type of license to keep them, which I think is sad in a way, goes to show you how little Quebecers care about wildlife. :(

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks Becki :) The antics are getting more hectic!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks Martha :) They are really cute overload!! They're starting to eat a LOT...and they're hiding their peanuts!! Growing up... :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks Cathy :) Honestly...Algie, the little female would be the one we'd keep if we could. The males are too insane for us lol...they have so much energy, they need to be free. But then again, the female could start to get wilder too, we're going to wait and see! If I can do anything to be like Bob Ross, I will lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks Baili :) I'll be honest, Alex is doing most of the work! He takes care of the feeding most of the time while I'm taking care of the dogs/cats and the house! It's a lot of work, but we are really enjoying it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Beatrice :) Thanks for visiting!! :) It's a lot of fun with the squirrels, and yeah...it's going to be hard releasing them, but we are seeing each day as they grow that they definitely need to be in the woods. Oh the dreaded weight loss plan....I won't encourage you to make that pie lol...but it's really good! ;) Enjoy your road trip! I'm going to check out your blog!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Mama Pea :) I know...three. I don't know how he survived, I'm so glad we found him, but you can tell how traumatized he was because it took him so long to even think of trusting us. Even now, we've had them a week and a few days and he still hides most of the time. Release is still about 5-6 weeks away so we'll see how they do!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks Jan :) They really do cheer up a person! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Mmm inwant some of those goat cheese asparagus panini ... they look so good.
    Your little friends are so adorable. You are doing such a great job with them !!! I love it !!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks Nik :) That goat cheese panini was excellent! The squirrels continue to do so well, and with the new bigger cage, it makes it so much easier on us!

    ReplyDelete
  32. LOL on the sibling squirrel wrestling. That's all our kittens do if they're not chasing one another around or sleeping.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Stefanie :) I think all baby animals are the same at that age!! They love to wrestle around!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Algie, Spunky, and Frasier are adorable! How cool that you have a squirrel lamp too! So sweet that they all burrow into the sock together. OH yes, definitely keep the cats out of the area. They look very healthy so you guys are doing something right.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Those little guys are too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks Serena :) They are continuing to grow! Their tails are getting much bigger. The cats are so curious but definitely they must stay away.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I have been going through seeing the baby squirrels! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  38. They really are Stacy! We're happy to help them! :)

    ReplyDelete

❤ Thanks for your comment, I love hearing from everyone! ❤ Why not join me and my fellow artists every Thursday for TADD? That's Thursday Art and Dinner Date! It's a lot of fun!
Love,
Rain