Sunday, June 2, 2019

Spring Hike and My Greenhouse

Walking Through The Woods

Hello Friends :)

How is your weekend so far? It's raining today, a nice kind of warm spring drizzle. I'm taking it very easy today and catching up on housework - oh the horror...

Big-Mouth Jack

I have 54 little doggie nails to clip and file and 6 sets of furry ears to clean today too!


The other day, I went on my first 2 hour hike of the year. I decided to bring Charlie. She had her first swim in the river! I wanted to try and get her energy out, but what did she do when I got home? Jumped the fence again...WITH her collar attached to a cord! She somehow broke loose of the clip AND her choke collar (I have no clue how she did this)...this time she was out of sight for much longer and she came waltzing back about 10 minutes later like it was nothing.

Sleepy Marlene

I changed the regular clip to a mountain-climbing clip and shortened her cord, I don't know how she'll figure out her next escape, but I hope she stays put. I'm re-training her each morning now, I hope it sticks. Marlene (above) would never even think of escape, she has it too good here! :)


I spent all of yesterday in the sunshine! I went ahead with my "greenhouse" idea. Last week, the frame was put together out of an old porch swing frame and some bed frames. Yesterday I used those cheap dollar store "pool noodles" on all of the rough edges. Then I put my leftover porch screening around the triangles on each side of the frame for ventilation.


The last step was installing the row cover all around the frame. This is rated "P-12" (don't ask me too much about that)...all I know is it's the lightest cover I could find. It lets in 90% light, moisture and air. It's not meant for frost cover. The main idea for the greenhouse was to protect my tomatoes from air-born fungal infection. 


I used ground staples to secure the sides and back of the row cover into the ground. The row cover is SO delicate, so I had to be extra careful and quadruple up the fabric before inserting the staples or it would rip.

From My Office Window

For now, the front is secured down with rocks and bricks, unless I think of a better solution. I need to be able to get in and out of there easily. I have about 10 pots of tomatoes in there right now and more in my window growing! All that's left is covering up the sides under the triangle screens to make sure the whole greenhouse is contained, I have some plexiglass that will take care of that. I'll take care of that when the rain stops. I really hope it works!


I made some pizza subs for dinner, they were really good. Just sub rolls dressed as a pizza - I didn't feel like making dough!

A View Of The Lake Through The Trees

For those interested, next Thursday's Art Date theme is Trees (click on the link for inspiration and ideas!).

35 comments:

  1. Oh Marlene.....she needs to take lessons from Charlie and Jack. They know where their food comes from. Your green house is very clever. I hope it works perfectly for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not surprised you didn't feel like making dough! That was a busy day and it looks great! I applaud your creative talents! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one nice-looking little greenhouse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great idea on the sub rolls pizzas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you did it! the greenhouse looks great. i can't wait to see if it works. the pizza subs look tasty! sometime you should try my polish pizza. just type zapiekanka into my search bar and you will see it.i hope this works for charlie...so scary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well that's an ingenious little greenhouse! Good use of recycled materials. I've never used row cover, but I've thought about it. Our little local green house sells it. A two hour walk sounds lovely. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're such a clever and busy little gal! With your creative mind, you can make anything work using materials you have on hand. That applies to your fantastic meals, too! And I suppose your artistic talents go right along with your other abilities. You and those brain cells of yours are always firing on all four cylinders. (Are four cylinders appropriate these days. I sure wouldn't know . . . maybe four rechargeable batteries.) :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your little tent. Good for camping plants!

    The lake is gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the greenhouse !!! Such a great set up :) I had company all weekend ... it was fun :) hope u find a way to keep Charlie in the yard :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are incredible. The things you do, the things you create, are awesome

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so creative!! Your greenhouse and you are even creative with that pizza sub! Wishing you a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rain,

    It looks like y'all had a good time in the woods. I'd say that swim had to be a cool one, though. Your inventiveness is pAwesome - love your greenhouse idea! I hope your tomatoes thrive and do well this year. I love home grown tomatoes! I'm working on my Trees artwork and am looking forward to joining your Thursday's Art Date. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The scenery there is picture perfect, and would definitely get me out walking.What a clever idea for your plants too! Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
  14. Some dogs are just natural escape artists! Have you used a martingale collar with Charlie? We use these quite often with the dog rescue - there's nothing more frightening than a nervous dog in a new area getting loose! What a lovely place for hiking you have? (Honestly, that Jack is the cutest thing ever!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Marsha :) So far the greenhouse is standing up to the pouring rain and the wind! I've got high hopes!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Laurie :) Necessity...mother of all invention...or something like that right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Christine :) Pitas are good for that too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Joyce :) I did it! :) Oh mah gawd...your zapiekanka looks SOOOO GOOD...I'm definitely going to make this, thank you!!! Scary indeed...I've never lost a dog ever in my life and this was just too heart-wrenching, even though she came back...that thought of losing her is always on my mind now. :(

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Jenn :) I've been watching lots of You Tube videos lately from homesteaders who use row covers and they have great success from insects and harsh weather. I think, for me anyway, that's the way to go. When I get settled down, I would like to build real rows for the covers.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Mama Pea :) Lol...four cylinders works for me!! I'm trying hard not to spend any extra money...I'm so glad I kept that stuff, though I was pushing really hard to purge all the excess frames because I figured we'd never use them...but...you never know I guess!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Sandi :) Ha! Camping plants, I love that!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks Nik :) It's so odd, in the 4 years we've had her, Charlie NEVER tried to escape ever and we were warned about the husky escape gene too...that was so scary. So far the mountain climbing clip is working to keep her on the rope.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks Linda :) Wishing you a wonderful week too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks Cathy :) I wouldn't step a toe in the lake at this time of the year, but Charlie jumps in any weather! She loves to swim, but I have to keep her on a leash in the water too or I'm sure she'd end up on the opposite shore! Can't wait to see your trees!!! I love tomatoes too...I was so upset last year when I saw all those black spots on them, sigh...I hope this works too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks RO :) You're right, it's easy to be out and be active when you have such a nice place to walk and hike!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks Susan :) Oh Jack...he is the apple of my eye...such a sweetie... :) I actually had to look up martingale collar. We have a choke collar for her, it stays on her 24/7. It's not loose, just tight enough that she can't shake it off, that's why we were so shocked when she came home and the collar was gone. When I walk her, she wears a prong collar so that I can control her better. She must have been a snow-sled pack leader in her previous life...she knows her commands, but my gosh, she weighs over 90 pounds and if she wants to go somewhere, she will lol... The mountains here are gorgeous for hikes! We're pretty lucky! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Loving your view. Nice. And it is really nice to not see you having to post pics of SNOW on the ground. Looking like all the furbabes are really enjoying the spring! Great work on the green house. I have been enjoying the deck but as I look out I can no longer see the side of the shed where my flower bed is....the fence blocks my view so you know what that will mean. Yep, at some point and body hurts just saying it but I need to get out that and take that bed apart and move it into the fenced in area. I have to see my flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your greenhouse is adorable! I hope the weather is really nice and you enjoy a bumper crop.

    I LOVE the idea of pizza subs. How cool. I'll have to try that. George and I would really enjoy it.

    And Charlie sounds like a bit of a rebel. Or free spirit :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks Pam :) Yes! I'm happy to see NO SNOW...but I'll tell you it's cold enough to snow that's for sure, around zero each night, I can't wait for hot and humid weather. I agree, you need to see your flowers from the deck!! I would help you if I was closer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks Martha :) It's working so far, the tomatoes are looking fine this morning and we had frost overnight, so I think it helps with frosty nights for containers. If the tomatoes were in the ground, I think they wouldn't have fared too well. I guess I can't blame Charlie, I was a rebel too...ahem, a free spirit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. That greenhouse is ingenious. And in the final picture of it (from your office) it looks perfect. I look forward to seeing how your tomatoes grow in there. That Charlie sounds like a free spirit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your forest road looks so inviting, Rain. And of course I love your critter photos. Your greenhouse is genius. I'm a big proponent of "whatever works," and i enjoy seeing how clever and resourceful you are!

    ReplyDelete

❤ Thanks for your comment, I love hearing from everyone! ❤ Why not join me and my fellow artists every Thursday for TADD? That's Thursday Art and Dinner Date! It's a lot of fun!
Love,
Rain