Sunday, May 17, 2020

Rain Update - Big Ol' Post This Sunday!


Our "back yard"

Hi Everyone, it's time for an update!! We still don't have internet, that should be all set up in just over a week (fingers crossed!). I wanted to respond to a few comments from the last few posts. Yes, I'm able to read comments, but responding and commenting is very difficult. Visiting your blogs on my phone is a nightmare! As soon as I get set up online, I'll be back to visit! :) And about that porcupine fish skeleton from the last post, oh gosh I had no idea when I uploaded that photo that it looked like the Covid virus lol!!! 

Have I mentioned how much I HATE using my phone's keyboard??? It takes me forever to type what I want! Plus, my fingers are covered in bandaids from little nicks - moving injuries! This post took hours but I decided to take a day off from unpacking. I sure needed it.



I have so much to tell you all! Firstly, here are some photos of the drive. At the New Brunswick border, there were two lanes; one was a lane for "Quebec" (people who were turned back) and the other was a lane for "New Brunswick"...you already know which lane we were told to take!! That's me, bawling my eyes out from exhaustion, emotion and relief, just after we passed the border.


My sciatica is calming down. Alex and I are taking things slowly, we are both resting each evening - we have a lovely view of the back property from the Sun Room. I took some time to whip out my Tarot cards yesterday morning. It was raining and all I could hear were the rain drops and the birds singing. The back acreage has a lot of fallen/broken trees and needs lots of care. The previous owners were snowmobilers/quad-people and sadly we can see a lot of damage they did to the trees, sigh. We plan to replant a lot of trees over the next few years.


Our realtor Bill brought us a hot chicken dinner the second night we were here - oh boy that was very welcomed!!!



Honestly, temporarily living without refrigeration isn't too hard! We have my little cheese cave fridge (the bar fridge) that we filled with my cheeses and a few eggs that made the trip. But we are mostly eating my canned food. This is how Rain and Alex are "roughing it"...spaghetti dinners, enchiladas with homemade salsa...pizza (the oven here works!) and apple/cheddar fondue (with leftover stale bread we had)...not too bad huh? ;) And before we left, I hit the dollar store and bought bags of candies and chocolate bars...we have juice, wine and pop. The pets have all of their food. We are out of quarantine next Friday the 22nd - that's when we hope to go shopping for a decent (hopefully used) fridge. We have been doing laundry by hand and hanging it out to dry.

Baby Oscar has a comfy spot!

The previous owner left two rocking chairs in the Sun Room, so Alex and I have a little sip of wine after dinner each night, sitting in the rocking chairs and enjoying the view. It's so quiet here, I love it. 


We saw a porcupine waddling up from the woods the other night. He hung around a bit then climbed a tree and stayed there for a long time.


We hear lots of birds around here. I got a nice photo of what I think is a partridge nibbling the catkins off a birch tree. (Andrea, is this a partridge?) Our 1.6 acres is mostly birch with pockets of conifers.


Alex and I walked to the back of our property (we're number 11) and checked out the lot behind us (outlined in blue). I'll post photos next time...it's just under 2 acres and still has the foundation of the cottage that burned down before 2013. We are hoping to buy that property in the next few years to expand ours.


When we were working in the basement, we saw a little squirrel in there. We shoo'd her out, but she kept hanging around, and she wasn't scared of us. We had a feeling she might be protecting her nest. Last year, Alex and I found 3 baby squirrels in our basement and we took care of them and released them a few months later; we both felt like there was a nest inside the basement based on this female's behaviour.


We spent an afternoon searching and listening and finally we found her nest in the fiberglass insulation. It was tucked above one of the beams and wedged between two pipes. These three babies couldn't have been more than a few days old, oh our hearts melted! We followed protocol and put the nest in a box over a hot water bottle, then placed the box outside. Mamma Squirrel came back for them. It was awesome to watch and I tried my best to take photos but none of them turned out. She picked one baby up, curled it into a little ball, held it in her mouth and ran away to her new nest. In intervals of about 15 minutes, she came back for the other two. We made sure to seal all of the holes we found in the basement after that.


We have the bathroom and bedroom set up, I'm working on the kitchen. Alex set up my measuring cups and spoons for me...this made me feel a little more at home! He got our well water pumping. It's clear and potable though it has a little metallic taste to it. A Brita filter is helping with that but we may have to invest in a larger filtration system.


I can finally use my potato!!!! It's been sitting in a box for years, now it's going to house our day to day cutlery.


We bought a fixer-upper. This is the "front" room. It's the teeny-tiny kitchen on one side and the living room on the other side.Those horrid blinds HAVE to go, they are on every window. You can see a bit of the loft. It is now officially the "cat loft"! We have their litter up there and their beds and we feed them up there. They have a big window that looks out onto the backwoods. They LOVE it and spend most of their time up there! "No Dogs Allowed" lol! :)

We have so many plans and ideas for this cottage, it's going to take years but it's going to be a fun journey. I'm so glad you are coming along for this journey! I'll post new photos every Sunday to show you things! Thanks so much for visiting and for your lovely comments!!! Gosh I can't wait to start painting again...and cooking...and cheese making...life is beautiful. :)

42 comments:

  1. Hi Rain, so glad to read you news. You made it, and your quarantine is almost over, wonderful. You are all survivors. Soon you will be able to get everything shipshape again and start 'living it up'! Your food looks good, and how kind of the realtor to bring you roast chicken, that was a treat! Those squirrel babies are sweet, but better not in the house. And fancy seeing a porcupine. Take care of yourselves, take things slowly, and well done on a HUGE move and managing everything so well. You are both walking wonders! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun post to read. Loved the pictures and the little babies. What a great view and I love the walls. Very, very flippin' cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh Rain. You eat better than I and I have a full fridge/freezer and stove. I love the thought of cheese fondue. I haven't had fondue for so long, now I'm hungry for it.

    So glad you didn't have a whole lot of trouble getting to your new home. Quarantines sound hard, but you have SO much to keep you busy, these next two weeks will pass quickly.

    Sounds like you will be good custodians of the land. I'm sure your neighbors will appreciate you, too. And of course, I enjoyed reading the story of the baby squirrels, too.

    I can't play this next Thursday because I do a monthly Thursday tutorial. I'll be back with you on the 28th, though and I'll check in with you next Sunday, too. Have a great week and enjoy your time together away from everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am THRILLED to see this lovely long post - and the amazing photos.
    Thank you so much for finding those squirrel babies and re-uniting the family. I will admit to a happy leakage from the eyes.
    Your new place looks amazing, and the rocking chairs would be a lovely place to wind down at the end of the day in that stunning sun room.
    I struggle with my phone keyboard too and couldn't even contemplate such a long, informative and beautiful post.
    Thank you so much - and take it easy please.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! I've never seen a porcupine outside a zoo. You are in for such an adventure. I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the stove and those wood walls! Welcome home!💙

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun to finally see our first photos of your place. So much potential! We've been working on our fixer upper for going on 11 years now and we're still not done, but being able to focus on outside projects is worth it. Will enjoy following your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on getting moved in and continuing to survive your two week quarantine in style! How close are you to the nearest town? Well done finding those babies and helping mama to relocate. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  9. The place looks charming, all that warm wood. Do be careful getting up to the cat loft.

    Thanks for sharing this wonderful update. It does sound like the perfect place for you both. Looking forward to following you on this new journey. The place looks on good condition to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fascinating to see and read about your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh WELL COME HOME dear Rain :)))
    i am so happy for you !
    your house is going to be a soul full home as i know how much warmth of love and excitement of life you have within and i am sure you are going to fill this new canvas with all the colors and beauty :)

    your property is Huge and i really missed the post may be in which you might have stated why you had to buy such big area ,i mean big area and huge property means big responsibility ,though i know how much active and brilliant you are still i wonder if it makes you tired to look after it :) ?
    you mentioned that you are willing to but two more acres near you to add in your's and this is why i wanted to ask :)
    the serenity of your new home is compelling and each bit of it seems comfortable and beautiful :)
    wishing you more happiness and peace in days ahead my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your fans have been thinking about you! I'm so glad you made it. What a great spot. I'll look forward to more.
    I remember the squirrels, I'm glad you found these and released them. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rain, I'm so pleased to read this latest post from you! I can't tell you how excited I am for you. It all sounds lovely and you sound very happy! Your dream of owning a home has finally come true and I can't think of anyone who deserves this joy more. Wishing you and your gang well as you settle in, and looking forward to all that you share!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVED seeing all the pictures and look forward to following along with you and Alex on this journey. You're on a wonderful journey with all the excitement and expectations connected. Keep the updates coming, not only for us readers, but for your own record of your own first home/homestead.

    ReplyDelete
  15. congratulations! You did it! It's quite an adventure!
    Is your property the one you outlined or did you say that was your neighboring property?

    ReplyDelete
  16. A super post dear Rain, your happiness comes through big time and I know you will be so happy in your new home. . . . . . . and, knowing you, will stay busy every moment getting things perfect in the coming months.
    Take care, hugs Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh just look at you guys. it must be so much fun to get the place organized. eventually, you will have it just the way you want it. you two do eat better in quarantine without a proper fridge than most people do daily. i love the view out to your back property. you will have to bushwack some paths. i hope the pups stay away from the porcupine! enjoy this time fixing your place up no matter how long it takes. you will look back at this phase with fond memories!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So lovely to hear your news and see your photos! Thanks for taking the time to laboriously type everything out on your phone! Your new place looks great and jeez, the cats have their OWN loft? Pretty sweet! But HEY, those are the SAME blinds I have in MY place! lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are so blessed to have this home in the woods. It reminds me of a house my dad rented in New Jersey in a wooded area before we finally moved to West Texas. I loved it in the woods. So much nature to explore. You should set up a small sign that looks like the cats would have scrawled on it. No dogs allowed. Have some of the letters like the N and S backwards and post it above the entrance to the loft. It would be so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, Rain! It's lovely to get your latest post. I've certainly been thinking about you, Alex, and the fur babies. I love your sunroom! What a peaceful view ~ the perfect place to relax with a glass of wine. Your are certainly coming along with your home! It is warm and cozy ~ Don't fall out of bed though! What a thoughtful realtor! I'm glad to hear that you are managing quarantine. The 22nd is getting closer! I'm glad that you and Alex rescued the baby squirrels from the fiberglass nest! It will be fun to watch you bring your dreams to fulfillment! It took a lot to get to this point. The hard tasks are behind you. Hugs to you my friend~!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful update, Rain. Hang in there! Can't wait to read next week, be well and safe. xox

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks very nice, Rain. I can see why you love it so much. Cute little squirrels.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Interesting post and photos. Glad you'll be free soon!! Looking forward to future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It was fun reading your whole post and seeing the photos. You are going to have so much fun making this your cottage over the years and ..i'm really happy for you. I know how excited i would be moving into the woods there. I laughed at your dollar store purchases. I go there and always have to get some candy. you sound like you are eating well with your canned food, etc. anyway i enjoyed it all.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's so good to hear from you, Rain. Thank you for sharing some very early pictures with us. Give yourselves enough rest and stay healthy, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! There sure is a lot going on, and I'm glad your pain is much better. Trying to move and being in pain had to be stressful and draining. What a fantastic view, and my goodness I've never seen squirrels right after birth, and that you were able to see them all up close is fabulous. Very cool that you have two rockers left behind just for you. I totally agree, and can do very little blog stuff from a phone. I have to have a computer or laptop. Can't wait to hear more! Hugs and more hugs, RO

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your little cottage, and the surrounding woods! Love it!! Reminds me of 30 years ago when we moved in our cabin in the woods. You will love being there. Those sweet baby squirrels. Glad you helped them. The mother squirrel is so cute. Good to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What an awesome place!!! Your excitement even made me appreciate my place more. I'm so glad we get to come along on your journey! I love your cooking utensils hanging up. Nice job Alex! I love the potato too! What a beautiful setting and scenery. Glad you got the squirrels out safely and gently. So excited to hear about and see every step you take in your new home! YOu inspire me! Stay safe and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  29. WELCOME HOME!!!!! I have been thinking of you, moving during this awful time. Glad you made it there safe and sound - now the fun part begins - making it your own. Be safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Rain, it was wonderful to see this new post and of course, we all understand that you are not able to post and comment a lot now. But that said that was such a great catch-up and nice to see your cottage and now new forever home. Every place can be considered a fixer-upper in the sense that no matter what has been done (or not done) as new owners you want to make it your own, and you surely have made some starts, even small ones. The cat loft looked great and no wonder they like their own new space, window and all. Glad that mama squirrel was able to relocate her young-uns and I well remember the ones you rescued at your last place. It was a sweet series of posts. Even without some of the modern conveniences of a refrigerator, you and Alex seem to be doing just fine. So glad to read about your happiness and see why too!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm doing a happy dance for you :)
    So pleased to read and look at this wonderful post.

    Happy settling in and many years of happiness in your new home.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm glad you guys are really settling in! I've never lived in anything except fixer-uppers ha. looks like you guys have tons of potential there and very nice the way you handled the squirrels, cute!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Looks Amazing Rain!! Congratulations! Love the outdoor pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a cute space! Love how he set up your baking tools. How nice to find rockers there for you two.

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a perfect area for you two. It is lovely and the views are so nice. Congratulations and I know you and Alex will have great adventures and make beautiful memories together in your new home. Glad you found the babies and reunited them with their mom outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a great adventure for you and what an interesting animal world you will experience. If that is done comfortably, it will be even better. Sweet what you did with the squirrel and saved the young ones.
    The cats also have their favorite place shcon ..
    If the internet is there it will be better.
    All the best and good luck when conceding etc, hugs Elke

    ReplyDelete
  37. thanks a lot for the update. I am so glad it all turned out well without any further trouble. Yes it seems you will have a lot of work to do but as you say, it is a good kind of work.
    Loved the story of the squirrel. I hope to see shots of them when they are a little older. :)
    Take care,

    ReplyDelete
  38. Martha Stewart will be on Good Morning America tomorrow morning, and when I heard that, I immediately thought of you.(lol) Love your kitchen decorations, and reminded again that I would adore waking up to that fabulous scenery every day. Air Hugs, RO

    ReplyDelete
  39. My goodness, you sure have a tale to tell. I think your new place looks great ... so much potential and the perfect place to make your own. Love that the cats have the loft. We had a loft in our last house and our cats loved to sit and look out the window at all of the wildlife. So your bird doesn't look like a partridge ... some kind of Grouse for sure. I looked in my book and it showed a Willow Ptarmigan that looked like it. Did you have porcupines at your last place? If not, be warned, the dogs will have to stay away or they will get a face full of needles and they are painful and difficult to remove. We don't have porcupines, but we have skunk and Izzi can tell you some smelly stories about how she didn't listen when I tried to call her off of one :( We had a little squirrel make a nest in our garage and the babies would run along the ledge by the ceiling. I always talked to them when I went in there to prepare my bird feed ... So, when Mom and Dad decided to bring them outside, I was standing right inside the garage by the door and the babies came running up to me when they heard my voice. Mom and Dad were not happy and came and gathered them scolding the whole time :) So I guess I should stop rambling since you have to read this on your phone. So glad you are getting settled in and I look forward to all of your adventures in your new place. See you on line soon :)

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
  40. This makes my heart so happy ❤

    ReplyDelete
  41. I loved that you shared your experience with us. You both did great pacing, moving, getting there, and now even though it looks like work this is the fun part. Making it your own. Be sure to get some rest and just take it one item at a time. I am so glad you both are safe and sound in your new place.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Sounds like you are settling right in. Only a couple days left. Yo are going to hate the porcupines when you get chickens. You are going to hate the squirrels with your garden and fruit trees. They make excellent dog and cat food though. In a pinch, you can eat them too.

    ReplyDelete

❤ Thanks for your comment, I love hearing from everyone! ❤ Why not join me and my fellow artists every Thursday for TADD? That's Thursday Art and Dinner Date! It's a lot of fun!
Love,
Rain