Thursday, September 22, 2022

πŸŽ¨πŸ˜‹ Thursday Art and Dinner Date: Harvest Dinner

My own tomatoes are finally growing! I don't know if they'll have enough time to grow large and red before the first frost though! I'll surely be making fried green tomatoes this harvest season!

This is a scheduled post, I'll be back in October!

Welcome my Friends, to Thursday's Art and Dinner Date! 😊😊

🎨For our 🎨 Art Date 🎨, today's optional prompt is Harvest Dinner. Please feel free to share any art you've created, we would love to see it! And please share your foodie posts too!

⬆️⬆️ For Rain Frances Art, I recorded How To Draw A Duck!

⬆️⬆️ For Rain Frances Art For Kids, I have How To Draw A Mouse!

⬆️⬆️ For Rain's Kitchen and Garden, I'm sharing several videos, the first is How To Make Homemade Baked Sour Cream Donuts!

⬆️⬆️ I worked REALLY hard on these next three videos over the last few weeks. I basically recorded myself canning the 300 pounds of tomatoes that I got from the local farm! I decided to do a series of 3 videos, the first is Canning Tomatoes 101. I explain everything from finding your tomatoes to storing them.


⬆️⬆️ In video #2 of the series, I show you How To Water Bath Can Tomatoes from start to finish. 164 pints later...I am all tomato'd out that's for sure! But now I have food for a year! That was my goal and I achieved it! David, it's more than pasta dishes! I make pizza sauce, enchilada sauce, tomato soup, salsa and spaghetti sauce! ☺

⬆️⬆️ In video #3, I show you how I juice the discarded bits and cores to Make Tomato Juice. I got 59 pints of tomato juice from those tomatoes!


That's all for now folks! Please check out the link widget below for more 🎨 artistic πŸŽ¨ and πŸ˜‹ delicious πŸ˜‹ creations! See you soon!!! πŸ’— πŸ’— 

*****************************************


Upcoming Art Prompts For Rain's Thursday Art and Dinner Date: click on the links below for a description of the prompt and inspiring images! (Prompts are optional!)

September 29th - Hair

This art and dinner date date is all about creating. For the art date, you can showcase your paintings, drawings, photography, sculpting, poetry...whatever you like! You can follow the weekly themes or post any art you like! 🎨

And for the dinner date, please feel free to link up your foodie post! πŸ˜‹

Don't forget to add the URL link to your post (not your blog) to the link gadget below to share your wonderful creations! Please revisit to make sure you don't miss those who join in a little late! All spam and non-related links will be removed! The link gadget will be available until the following Wednesday!

****************************************** 


23 comments:

  1. I never canned any food - but then... we have a small condo. If I have too much all I can do is freeze, but... we have a cooler-freezer-combo!
    The not-so-fun part of living in the city!
    Yay for growing tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 300lbs of tomatoes??? Loud applause superwoman.
    Look after yourself please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever made fried green tomatoes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning, the night before a hard frost you can bring all the tomatoes in to ripen up in the house. Good for you getting lots canned hugs from the lake

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Rain,
    some tomatoes are still green in my garden, too. In Europe, unripe tomatoes are not eaten because of the solanine content and the fear of poisoning, but there are a few tricks - e.g. accelerate ripening with red foil (the red color stimulates the tomatoes to ripen faster) or put the tomatoes in a bowl with their branches with apples or bananas or wrap them in newspaper - in each of these cases, ripening gases can help the tomatoes to turn red after all.
    Hugs, Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2022/09/ausflug-nach-marchegg-schloss-storche.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that is a whole lot of tomatoes, Rain. But good for you. They will be great all winter. Your garden tomatoes seem to be ripening like mine. Slow and steady, until we get a frost. I finally picked some yesterday. I'm not sure it was worth growing them for the few I picked, but who knew there would be another drought in my area. I'm glad to be back after a couple of weeks away, and I hope you're having some relaxing time besides canning time (which can be relaxing) and your basement project is coming along if not finished. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made a caprese salad last night for My Rare One and me using one of her big red garden tomatoes. Dee-lish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a lovely day everyone. Thanks to Rain for taking time to schedule us a post.

    muchπŸ’›love

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never canned for preserving thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice post. The donuts can be made without a donut pan. A muffin pan with foil in the middle. I have used this method many times. The donut pans would be easier. LOL You are lucky to be able to get so many tomatoes at one time. Ohhh a tomato on the vine that is great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You accomplish so much. It's very impressive, Rain

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am not someone who does a lot of canning, and your canning of 300 lbs of tomatoes sounds very intimidating to me. I love the tomatoes I can harvest i my garden, they are truly wonderful and I cherish that. They are not enough to do any canning at all, so I enjoy them while they last. Homemade tomato juice sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our end of summer food isn't exactly a harvest dinner but I join you with both food and art this week! Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember canning back in the old days. You are a hard worker. All the best!
    (ツ) from Jenn Jilks , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope you'll be safe from the storm heading your way!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, Rain! Thinking of you and Alex as Fiona approaches. Thank goodness you are out of the projected track of the storm.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hope Fiona stays away and you are safe dear Rain. I have English friends on Queen Mary 2 heading from NYC to Quebec so hope their passage remains safe and calm!!!!

    Tomatoes! How could we cook without them?
    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  18. your preserves are on an industrial scale! hope your tomatos ripen :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. So good to have your own tomatoes finally growing.

    Enjoy these last few September days.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  20. Next year I will tried fried green tomatoes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm going to have to try to make your sour cream donut recipe. By the way, your pastry bag is that silicone? I buy the disposable type simply because it's easier than to get my hands messy fishing out the connector piece. I used to use the reusable kind years ago but when they get old they get really stiff. However, a silicone version may withstand the years better. Thanks for sharing, my friend. Oh yeah, I thought about while in Maine. We visited Lubec, ME and I said to DH..."Somewhere that way is where Rain lives." lol My cell did pick up a tower in Canada, as I got an alert saying so but basically I'm good since I International call/text is under our plan. :) Have a great day, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  22. CRAP on the basement and covering pipes....I understand you not wanting to say anything but I am sure the company got paid from the evergy company. And a job done badly is a job done badly. That is crap. Sorry and sorry that you are going to have to wait till next yr to finish up but man that will give you some nice space. Awesome on that.

    ReplyDelete

❤ Thanks for your comment, I love hearing from everyone! ❤ Why not join me and my fellow artists every Thursday for TADD? That's Thursday Art and Dinner Date! It's a lot of fun!
Love,
Rain